Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help badly needed

Ryan420RRyan420 Posts: 1
edited 05/03/2015 - 5:19 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi everyone, I was suggested to post on this forum by a friend from another forum.

I'm 24 years old and have been seeing a rheumatologist for 14 years for ankylosing spondylitis. For at least the last 4-5 years I have had constant pain in my lower back and buttock region when sat down but it has always been tolerable and more of a nag that I just put up with. Over 1 year ago I was forced to change doctor and this is where my problems began. I live in the UK and in my area the rules on the NHS recently changed meaning I must attend the nearest hospital to my home. To put it nicely my new doctor is more than useless and her quality of care if awful. I did appeal and plead with the higher management of the NHS to allow me to still see my old doctor because we had built up a very good relationship over 13 years and he knew me and my condition very well.

My new doctor hasn't even got my notes or no history of my condition. At the first appointment with her she stopped my medication at the time as that hospital does not offer it and instead insisted I must take another medication. I was not happy about this but there was nothing I could do and just accepted it. From Feb 2014-Aug 2014 I went without no medication for my AS. I quickly become very unwell and by around April/may I was bed bound and in extreme pain. My GP put me on steroids which I am still currently on.

Around Oct last year things started to improve slightly and I began to gain my mobility back slowly, but one day suddenly when walking around in my home my back just gave way, the pain in the bottom of my back was so intense that I literally had to throw myself to the floor and lay down, since that very day I have had extreme lower back pain when sitting or standing or walking, I also have extreme buttock pain only when sitting but no back or buttock pain when laying flat or on my side. This pain has taken over my life, I have had to give up work and move back in with my parents. I can virtually not walk even when using crutches because the pain is so intense and I'm beginning to have trouble moving my right leg, it doesn't want to move or do as I tell it to, its just dead. I have told my doctor about this pain now for just over 6 months and she has still not done anything except send me for an x ray which I was unable to complete due to not being able to lay complete flat. She has not once examined me and just asks me to point where the pain is. There is no alternative doctor to see in my area and I'm stuck with her.

I recently paid to have an MRI scan but my GP says he is out of his depth with the results and suggests I talk with my rheumatolgist, but she cannot see me for 4 months and I cannot wait that long. Would anyone have any idea as to what type of doctor I would be best paying to see privately? It would also be great if anyone with a similar experience could let me know what type of treatment they went through and what the results were like. From what my GP has told me there are 2 lumbar discs indenting the spinal cord and something about spinal signal being interrupted. The scan also shown problems further up in my spine such as its began to fuse in a forward position, lots of bony spurs in multiple areas and 3 root nerves are compressed in my neck.

I'm sorry this is a long post, any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm fed up of waiting and being messed about by my doctor on the NHS so I'm trying to figure out who I can see and pay for my own treatment out of savings which were meant to be for a house deposit.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    That is quite the bummer....losing your doctor after 13 years good relationship.

There is a search on the upper right on this site. It may help you with info that is already out there.....past posts, many articles and videos with wealth of info. There may be info re' the different types of doctors who are very good with spinal issues.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• ivymiivym Posts: 278
    edited 05/04/2015 - 6:00 AM
    From my own experience and from what I have read, the next doctor needs to be a neurosurgeon. Good luck and keep in touch.
  • Can you ask for your old physician to send his/her files and notes on your condition to your new physician?
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • KelvinRiceKKelvinRice Posts: 1
    edited 05/18/2015 - 8:41 PM
    Sorry to know that you had to go through a lot. Problems associated with disc are now becoming more common especially among the younger generation because of the hardships at work. My son had a similar problem with his disc wherein he wasn’t even able to pick up a small bag. We tried going to a neurologist who suggested he undergo surgery but he was skeptical regarding that prospect. Hence after very careful examination and a lot of research, we decided to get him treated from xxxx Mississauga. There he underwent treatment for a period of 4 weeks and ever since he has been doing well and his back is finally holding up. Hence choose the center wisely, that makes a huge difference.