Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

had neck surgery but still after 5 months, lots of swelling and worse pain now than before surgery.

mybutterfly14mmybutterfly14 Posts: 4
edited 05/05/2015 - 10:25 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Had surgery in Dec of 2014 on the C5 and 6. Supposed to have been on left side, which they say was the worst. 8 bone speres removed, spinal stenoises, degenerative disc disease, numbness in left side of arm, fingers going numb with blue color and cold cold fingers, but not all at same time. The swelling of my fingers where really bad. Had surgery thinking, this is the beginning of getting better. Its 5 months and im so much worse much worse than before surgery. After 4 weeks , I was still severly swollen at the surgical site and my muscle were and still is, spasming and at times cant move my neck left right at all. Ive been complaining so much that the place that I had surgery at, finally sent me for another MRI, first done since surgery. Well, results showed a foreign metal artifact lodged just below survical site and looks to have shifted. Object is triangle and metal. Right at the end of the MRI, I started screaming that my neck was burning and felt on fire and they stopped the machine. I just found out about the metal artifact and im going for an xray tomorrow. Ive been complaining since about two weeks after surgery, that certain ways I move my neck, it feels like something stabbing me with needles. I was wondering, what would be the side effects of something like this? I do know that because of my last surgery, this new doctor says now I will need a complete reconstrution, of course the metal artifact is the priority, then reconstruction.. just thought I would bend someones ear to see if this artifact could be causing infection and maybe thats where the pain and swelling is coming from? I know no one can give medical advice, but was curious of any thoughts. Im a little scared!

• Where do you mean in relation to the spinal cord? I would expect if it were any where near a nerve, it would absolutely cause pain. If it's part of a surgical tool, it may not be inert and therefore may case problems with pain since it wasn't meant to be in the body. I don't expect it to cause infection, since they should've used sterile everything.

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016

• Its at c4 and c5 is the part that supposedly was worked on, left side only. Surgical site is right above that bone at bottom of the knot at the starting of your shoulders. Its was normal looking, now its extended and swollen some daysworse than others.