Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New MicroD procedure- Going for it

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi All,

As you may know me my name is Smurf and my hubby had a MicroD. on the L5 in Nov'07. Well shorly after his L4 herniated. I was researching for new procedures and found one called "Selective Endoscopic Discectomy (SED)". He is having surgery on 8-1-08 and will try this procedure. If it does not work the surgeon will just do a regular MicroD while he is there. Ok. This is a brief summary of the SED:

The endoscope allows the surgeon to use a "keyhole" incision to access the herniated disc. Muscle & tissue are dilated rather than being cut when accessing the disc. Surgery time can range from 60-90 min under local anesthesia.The procedure is performed with an "inside out" technique working underneath the herniation pulling it back into the disc instead of through the epidural space like a traditional Microdisectomy. Procedure good for herniated,protruted,extruded or degenerative discs.

This came out in MAR'08. I hope I am not repeating myself but I have not heard about this before. I will let you know how hubbys' surgery went.

Your friend,
Smurf :) :)

• :(

Has nayone had this new procedure?

• I have never heard of it. Sounds really neat though! you have to let us know how is goes! Please!

• Thank you Cos. I sure will

Smurf :)
  • Does anyone have any input on this procedure?
  • I guess that would be - No? :?

Is it an outpatient surgery?
  • My microD is scheduled for 7/28. The doctor didn't call it an SED but, when he explained the surgery, he said that they use dialators to gradually separate the muscle until the opening beomes the size of a quarter. Then they insert a circular ring to hold the space open, remove the dialotrs and work through the opening to perform the discectomy - no cutting of the muscle. There is still some cutting of the lamina (laminoptopy) though. He didn't describe how he gets the disc out (through the epidrual space or orthwise) but the other part about no muscle cutting sounds similar. Maybe it's not the same though because I will be under general anesthesia.
  • Wow, I hope all goes well - what a revolution if it works!
  • Hey, Please let us know how this goes. It sounds similiar to what I'm checking on...mimally invasive endoscopic surgery. I'm in the process of having all my medical records faxed to DR. Rick A.Davis who is an orthpedic surgeon and works for the Vanderbilt Orthopaedic Institute in Nashville, TN. After looking over my records, he'll let me know if I'd be a good canidate for his services. Has anyone in this group know him or had him as their Dr.?

I hope and pray that he'll be able to fix my leaking disk [L3] that's causing me misery day and night! I had a ruptured disk about 10 yrs ago that healed itself and I never hurt this bad with it! I had L 4 fused in 2004 and it seems once you've had one fusion, you have to have at least one or two more. Wonder why our surgeons don't tell us this right up front? [grin]
  • smurf,
    that sounds ingenious.
    May I ask who is the doctor and where?

I have seen animations of the technique you describe
    (Dr. Yeung in Phoenix), also on youtube there are microdiscectomy vids.

It will be interesting to see if the "keyhole" technique removes lamina.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Hi Smurf,

I'm so happy for your hubby that his surgery date is finally scheduled. I haven't heard of the procedure but it does sound very interesting. Please fill me in when we speak soon ok?

xoxo Pebbs