Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

constant upper right back pain and right arm pain

EricjoelEEricjoel Posts: 4
edited 06/03/2015 - 7:37 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
some background, 44 year old male, married, two kids under 4, 3 dogs and have always been very athletic.

In 2003 I had my first microdiscotomy of L1/S5, in 2013 I had my 2nd microdiscotomy of L1/S5 but this time the disc rupture caused some nerve damage in my left foot.

About 9 months ago I started having some pain in my right shoulder blade, sort of like someone punched me in the back, as well as pain in my right arm, especially my forearm. The pain was always there.

I have been diagnosed with Cervical Degenerative Disc Disease and Cervical Spinal Stenosis. I have been doing physical therapy for the last 4 months.

I have had 1 course of oral steroids, and 2 shots into my upper back. It has been almost a month since the last shot and the pain has comeback in my right shoulder/blade/trap area. When the pain was the worst I could not go to physical therapy, was having major issues concentrating at work and was miserable.

The shots have been life saver, but the pain coming back has been making me take Ibuprofen or Norco before I go to sleep.

My surgeon, doctor at the pain clinic and my physical therapist have all said to avoid surgery at all costs.

Can anyone share any ideas as far as what I should do now. Thanks

• ivymiivym Posts: 278
    edited 06/03/2015 - 1:13 PM
    I imagine most of us here would like to not have surgery myself most definitely included. Unfortunately for many, injections are not effective forever. I am by no means an expert here and I know you will want to investigate for yourself so you have the confidence you are moving the right direction. I would suggest you google "dermatomes" So you can get an idea of where your problems are. Once you know that, you can request an MRI of the problem area. For me, my next step was to go to a neurosurgeon with my CD of my MRI. At this point from what I have read, people are given options and guidance. Please let us know how things progress. You will find lots of support here.