Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Failed ACDF 5-7 now scheduled for posterior laminectomy and latereal mass instrumentation

I have a failed two level ACDF C5-7. Now next week I am scheduled to have a laminectomy at C-4 with lateral mass instrumentation at C5-7. I'm very nervous. Not really sure what to expect. The ACDF, I felt was a breeze to recover from. However once my bones collapsed into the cages and severe elbow, and leg pain started, I knew something was wrong. I haven't been back to work in over a year. I'm a 36 year old mother with two young children. This ordeal has left me depressed with anxiety. Anyone out there have a posterior surgery similar to the one I'm having? I haven't read great recovery stories, I'm confident in my surgeon, just a bit nervous. Oh, I said that already.

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    The same as yours just more levels. I was scared to death of this surgery all the horror stories that i was told and the things the surgeon told me. I am not going to say it is a easy recovery , the muscles get pretty angry. Walk , walk and walk is all I can say to keep the muscles from getting worse. I like you have had previous surgeries on my neck, 4 of them. and then it all collapsed. I was scared to death I felt them collapse and was taken to the er. Of course I was treated like a drug seeker till my xrays came back, the er doc walks in my room and says "are your ears burning because we were out there talking about you like a dog until we saw the xray. He says the good news we are giving you a shot of morphine bad news your surgeon wants to see you in his office upstrairs" When I woke up my surgeon was sitting in a chair waiting for me to wake up. I asked what the heck did you do to me? He stated just as we talked about. I forced myself to walk that night, On the 3rd day the doc asked if I thought I could go home , which I did. The hardest part of this surgery for the first few weeks is getting up from a laying down position, I would give a warrior cry every time I would get up , I gave up and had my dr. order a hospital bed .Once i was up I was good. Have good pillows fpr support. Good luck keep us posted.
  • Thank you Susan! I will see if a hospital bed can be ordered. With workers comp, it's always a fight unfortunately. Funny story, I went to pre-op today and three nurses came by and they all said, hey I remember you. You're funny with anesthesia. I hope I'm on for your recovery. I remember none of it, but apparently there was a very handsome doctor that I couldn't stop talking to or about. I will keep you updated.
  • So, now I am recovering and have a seroma on my scar. Got it drained yesterday and woke up feeling worse than I did when I had surgery.....help!