Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I had a nerve block for nerve root swelling after microdiscectomy - not working :-(

Still no relief for swollen S1 nerve - am 4 weeks post-op and had nerve root injection 10 days ago. I notice that the pain management consultant says in his letter 'she may need a second injection' . Has anyone had experience of steroid injections for swollen/inflamed nerves after surgery ? I had them pre-surgery and got a great response but this one doesn't seem to have done anything ! frown emoticon My foot pain is killing me !

• Can you describe some of the pains you have in your foot? Are they in the bottom of your foot, top of your foot, toes? Burning sensations, stabbing, etc? I'm curious how similar our symptoms might be. I haven't tried any injections -- my swelling decreased after taking a course of methylprednisolone -- ice also helps quite a bit.

I had my L5/S1 discectomy 5 weeks ago because the pain in my foot was so bad I could barely walk. Before the surgery, it was all on the bottom of my foot. I found myself walking/limping on the outer side of the foot. It was unbearable. After the surgery I hoped to be part of the 90% of people who supposedly have an immediate relief -- not so lucky. In addition, the top of my foot started having a burning sensation, and stabbing in the toes. I was prescribed Neurontin which has considerably helped (about 80%) with the pain.

I am happy to say that after 5 weeks, I'm finally starting to see some improvements, at least with my walking. I'm still limping as my leg has a tired feeling, but I can now put pressure on the bottom of my foot. It helps to wrap an ace bandage around my foot -- something with compressing the foot helps the walking. A fluffy sock also tends to make it easier to walk as well.

Hope you're getting some relief. Given the date of your post, I think we might have had surgery around the same time -- mine was on June 3rd.

Best of luck!
  • The sole ( right in centre of sole - like being electrocuted) , on the inner arch and on front of ankle . I had surgery on June 5th but never felt any relief. I have never had any pain EXCEPT in my foot ...which confused the docs at first but apparently it can happen . Did you have any other pain - eg in leg ? Where was your swelling ? Glad to hear you are doing better !
  • Most of my pain, over 90% of it, has come in the bottom of my foot, with the swelling primarily in the L5 area. When the sciatica initially started, it began in my butt, moved down my thigh to my calf, and then finally decided to post camp in the bottom of my foot. Couldn't walk, limping on the outside of the foot at best (actually on crutches for several days). Never did the injections -- doctor said it would only be a temporary fix at best and recommended immediate surgery.

I'm extremely sorry to hear you're still in pain. I hope you find some relief. I wondered at times if I could be having multiple problems, one from the herniated disc, and one from something else. Don't give up!