Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4 / L5 microdiscectomy and decompression worries

I had the surgery 3 weeks ago and for the first 4 days i had no aches or pains in my legs. After then i started getting an aching feeling in my right calf and in the past few days a tingling in my right foot.
Also the scar is very neat and tidy but theres a lump underneath the top half of the scar.

Are all these normal or do i need to seek help.

• Hi!

Do you have numbness in your foot where the pins and needles are? I had my follow-up with the neurosurgeon on Thursday and mentioned that where I have numbness I'm occasionally getting pins and needles. He said it was normal and a sign that the nerve is starting to come back to life. He did also smile and warned me that sometimes they become quite intense and can last a while until the nerve is healed (although gabapentin/lyrica will help if they become a nuisance)

The bump could just be scar tissue, I've got a small hard lump at the bottom of mine, if it feels like it's getting bigger or there's any sign of infection then best to get it checked out.

L5-S1 microdiscectomy, May 2015
  • Hi mrjolly

There is no numbness where the pin and needle are. Some times they get worse depending on how i lie in bed or sit down. Occasionally when i stand up i get a pain in my coccyx but it goes straight away.

The scar on my back dont hurt or look infected. The nurse looked at it and said everything looks fine.
  • happygolucky87hhappygolucky87 Posts: 3
    edited 07/17/2015 - 3:58 PM
    Hi Ullisees,

I'd just like to say that you are not alone :) I'm in the same boat as you at 2 weeks and 4 days after surgery.

Post op walking has helped me a great deal with the tingling feeling in the right foot and the calf muscle as it helps with blood flow and improves muscle strength. This is what the doctor and nurses had highly recommended as well as per my comfort level after the surgery. I had numbness that bothered me the first week where I was scared to even fall asleep for too long thinking I would wake up with no feeling down the entire leg. Nothing like that happened of course. Just post op paranoia for a few days for obvious reasons.

The pins and pokes haven't all completely gone away. I occasionally feel a poke here and there in the right leg but as MrJolly mentioned it is basically the nerve settling down after long periods of being agitated by the disc.

Also, I just noticed the same thing with the incision area- a tiny lumpy tissue matter towards the bottom of the incision. It had reduced this morning. On checking with a nurse, aka mommy darling(haha), she said it is normal as the skin is beginning to join back in to place.

All in all, it has been a great experience(touch wood) and I wish the same for you and MrJolly :)

All the best and embrace the painless beautiful days ahead folks!!!

Take good care

Best wishes

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click link for helpful information!
  • Hi.

Thanks for your help. Im coming up to 4 week since the surgery and I'm now having to contend with a kidney infection which is making my back more sore.

The ache in my calf comes and goes. Ive tried to walk at least 4 mile a day to keep the blood flowing but with a kidney infection thats near impossible to do.

I go back to see the surgeon on 4th August so i should have more answers then.

Will keep you informed