Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is this too much?

dmoonchildddmoonchild Posts: 383
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Pain Medications
I was on ocycontin 20 mg every 12 hours. I called my PM doc and told her it only works about 4 hours, so she put me back on oxycodone 5mg 2pills every 6 hours. I was just taking that and although it works better, still not enough relief. So I took the ocycontin 20 mg and used the oxycodone thruout the day. This was good. I see my PM DOC and was going to ask her if I could have both. IS this too much for me to be taking?

• I know we feel like we have found a good mix but always check with your PM or PCP to make sure that dosage is ok~

• Is this something I should ask for from my PM doc?
  • You should not have taken the Oxycontin and oxycodone without consulting your PM first Dmoon. :O You are putting your PM care at risk by doing what you did. :(
    We can't tell you if it's too much or not, we're not your PM doc, but any changes that are made to your medication dosages, increases or decreases should only be made with the consent and knowledge of your PM doctor.
  • I've kinda found that the best way to approach talking to my PM doc is to first tell him what I'm experiencing with my pain and then ask what his opinion is about controlling it better since I'm not getting adequate coverage...
  • I can only add to Sandi's post.They do random urine tests.If your results are above or,even below the prescribed dose...
    Off you go looking for another PM,and there's a red flag in your file.That's what I know,and you don't want that.
  • Oh, I didnt think I was doing anything wrong. She never told me to discontinue the oxycontin. I will discuss this with her on Tuesday. Thanks everyone
  • Dmoon,
    Anytime that your meds are changed, unless your doctor tells you that you should continue with a previously prescribed med, you should ask if you are not certain about old ( previously prescribed meds) and if you should continue or discontinue them. If they do not specifically ask, then you should discontinue them.
    You can't take "old meds" and newly prescribed meds unless you are told to do so.
    It's something that will get you blacklisted in no time flat.
    Just so you know in the future.
  • With my doctor however I think if I said 'so the two together worked really well', he'd have no problem with it. Keep in mind that I don't have to drug test, and have a very trusting PM. I guess the safest would be to ask what your PM thought about *trying* both, instead of saying that you have. That's very frustrating, because you've found your perfect point on meds. The mix of the two definitely gives you less ups and downs. Good luck, and take the safe route, you'll eventually get there.
  • Thanks everyone for all of the advice. Im still new to pain management and I have alot to learn.