Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Member - Hello!!

I guess I posted my question on my MRI results prior to posting my introduction...sorry!! If that's the worst mistake I make in here, I'll be happy. : )

I am a 56 year old woman with a history of Lumbar and Cervical Fusion. I broke my back in a car accident - gotta love those drunk drivers - when I was 18. Unfortunately it wasn't diagnosed until years later and healed with calcium deposits making it a bit crooked - off center, whatever the correct terminology is...I've had back pain since then and did surprisingly well with OTC pain meds until my first disc exploded when I was 40. I say exploded because it fractured and they were still pulling out pieces of it during my third spinal surgery that year. All is well that ends well, right? I was relatively pain free until I tripped up a step - takes a very graceful person to do that - and slammed my neck into the corner of the door frame. Cervical fusion followed that and again, I did pretty well afterwards.

Unfortunately over the past year I have had several new diagnoses added to some old ones and my list is now:
Osteoarthritis (big surprise right - actually I've had this for over 30 years)
Degenerative Disc Disease
Cervical Spondylosis
Hoshimoto's Thyroiditis
Celiac disease
Diabetes (type II)

I am also allergic to all pain medications except Demerol and Fentanyl - which really makes pain control interesting. A year ago I woke up and couldn't move - not even to take care of my personal needs. I have had several MRI's, CT's and 2 myelograms since that time. I've had PT, four epidural injections, massage therapy, heat, ice...you name it, to no avail. One of the epidural injections worked and helped for about 3 months. Unfortunately, I have fallen 20 times now and it seems to be an ongoing problem. I cannot always control my right leg. This has led to a severe fracture of my right wrist requiring ORIF - with several screws and a huge metal plate! I am working my way to being bionic!! I also fell (#18) and suffered a severe laceration of my left leg. I ended being hospitalized with cellulitis twice and it took approximately 3 months of PT debridement for the laceration to heal.

I do the best I can and tend not to take any pain meds until the pain is unbearable. I can't afford to become resistant to the 2 meds I can take. One of my biggest problems is I know too much and surgeons don't like questioning patients. I really try to ask nicely and think that it isn't too much to ask a question, after all it is my body. I am unemployed and uninsured. I am waiting for my Disability to kick in and also waiting on an answer from Medicaid. Luckily, the medical center where I am being treated has a 100% patient discount for people like me in my income classification. I feel like the "pass around pack" at the Medical Center that is treating me with the Ortho surgeon passing me off to the Neurosurgeon (and was visibly happy to do so) at my last visit. Unfortunately, there is only one neurosurgeon there and I'm scared to death he isn't going to do anything either. I simply cannot live this way for the rest of my life! I finished my degree in IT December of 2013 and I am dying to use it!! I must be able to get back to work soon!! So now you know me - or this part of me.

• I'm new here, too. I love this site and have read many helpful and uplifting forums.
    I am about 5 wks post op a microdiscectomy and laminectomy for a large herniation at L5-S1. I'm currently on Gabopentin and found out through this forum that I should be taking it regularly for results. I just hate to take meds, but started to have a nightly regime with this. Hopefully, it will help the pain that I feel at night, as well as, the leg pain when I sit. I'm in a back brace and am really scared to not use it. I know that I need to strengthen my muscles, but am terrified of re-herniation. I don't think much of the disc is left and fear a fusion will be needed if this happens, again.

I'm so sorry that you are allergic to a lot of meds and that you have so much going on. I wish you peace and pain relief!