Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal Cord Stimulator Trial Failure

Hello everyone. I have CPRS/RSD in my right arm for the last 17 years. Had the spinal cord stimulator trial implanted beginning of August ... and unfortunatley it honestly only provided minimal pain relief ... falling short of the 50+% recommended to justify permanent implantation ... so had it removed 11 days ago. I was told the trial surgery would be painless ... ended up being worst implantation PM doctor has performed to date ... and it was far from painless as described. Took 1.5 hours to get in the first electrical wire lead because of excrutiating pain that would occur every time he kept pushing the initial wire up the spine. PM doc performing surgery even removed the initial lead due to pain and went up one vertebrae space and reinserted into the epidural space ... same problem ... excruciating pain as he fed the wire lead up my spine. I powered thru the first electrical wire lead insertion with nerve-like excrutiating pain until he got up into my neck area destnation for the initial lead. Luckily the second lead fed easily up the spine with no pain or issues. I was of course awake the whole time so they could verify by my response the leads were in the right place feeling the electrical stimulation in my right arm. I was covered in sweat after the surgery due to the excrutiating pain for the first 1.5 hours getting in the first lead. Even felt an electrical shock in my left foot once during the surgery. It was the PM Doc's opinion my epidural space is more narrow than most other patients and why I experienced the insertion issues up my spine. The reason I share this story ... I have manageable pain issues usually controlled by low dosages of oral tramadol and gabapentin ... but tramadol was added to the fed narcotic controlled substance list last year so my primary doc sent me back to PM doc to get secondary verification to refill my prescriptions. Being the second time at the the pain clininc forwarded by primary doc ... PM doc recommended we look at SCS trial. After much thought and a little research ... decided to do the trial ... and here I am back to my normal meds, an expensive and painful trial that did not bring sufficient relief, and a scar plus muscle pain reparing from my only invasive surgery so far in life. Learned from this not to get your hopes up too high on something that only has a 50-60% success rate and beware of the possible complications during any invasive surgery. Atleast now I do not forsee having issues receiving my low dose medications now that I tried the SCS trial which failed. It is my hope that eventually some kind of federal law will be passed to protect those of us in pain when it comes to availability of medications required to live our daily lives including going to work and providing for our families.