Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C5/C6 herniation, horrible pain after epidural injections. Please help

MunkzillaMunkzilla NYPosts: 133
edited 09/11/2015 - 7:05 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi everyone. Last November I was hurt at work. I deliver heavy packages for a large corporation delivery service and work in an industrial area. It all started when I lifted boxes to bring to the shipping and receiving area of a regular stop. Pain shot down my right arm, up my neck down my shoulder blade and into my face.

I told my supervisor and was sent to the ER. They checked for a torn rotator cuff, it was not torn. I was told to follow up with an orthopedist. Luckily I had one on my daily route, they saw me the following day. Long story short MRIs and xrays showed a herniated disc at c5,c6 and a not quite torn shoulder tendon. After PT didnt help, and nothing else done to ease the constant pain except pain meds tossed at me, after be shoved off to a pain management doctor. I have migrains everyday and radiculopothy in my right arm and hand.

In May of this year the PM Doc suggested cervical epidural injection to help. I had one on 5/18/15 then a second on 7/8/15. Since these injections I have become even worse! My hand is numb my arm feels like its been burned, my hand randomly opens and I drop things like dishes, cups, etc... The pain is absolutely unbearable at this point. I also want to know why the doctor injected me at c7,t1 when the issue is at c5, c6?

A neurosurgeon said I need a fusion. I am currently awaiting my consult with spinal surgeon [edit] to hear his opinion.

Has anyone had a cspine epidural make them worse? I am getting very scared that this pain is forever.

Thank you in advance for any input you may have.

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!
~ spine-health moderator, savage

• BlessedMom74BBlessedMom74 Posts: 322
    edited 09/20/2015 - 1:42 PM
    If a neurosurgeon already recommended surgery and is willing to perform it on you and you're suffering this much, I don't understand what you're waiting for. Neurosurgeon's are the ideal doctors to perform this surgery in my opinion. Many who are suffering can't get a neurosurgeon to do it, so if you can, you're very fortunate.
    I, like you, got worse after my injection too. Don't wait too long is my only advice.

Forum Rule:
    5.06 You agree not to post information that is considered to be formal medical advice.

Your post contains wording that may be considered as giving medical advice. It is very important that everyone understand that
    there are no medical professionals on this site, so therefore any comments are solely opinions based on personal experiences.
    They should never been taken as medical fact.

-- Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator 09/20/15/ 19;42
  • I think the question you need to ask yourself is "what exactly is the injection going to heal?" If you were to say inflammation or swelling I would respond "so what is causing that?"

Best wishes.