Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm new, 1 week post-op disc replacement surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone! I'm Sarah, 26, from Missouri. My ordeal began about 6 years ago. I was hit from behind by a truck going about 50 mph and had severe whiplash. Over the years I went to chiropractors, had deep tissue massages, but nothing seemed to help with pain in my left shoulder and neck. Finally, when my hands began falling asleep, I went to my doctor and an MRI revealed herniated discs at C4/5 and C6/7. The C4/5 was larger, so I opted to do cervical epidural shots on it. I did two shots, realized it wasn't helping, so quit. My spine doc gave me the option of fusion surgery or live with it, but said he'd hate to do surgery on an active 26 year old. So I decided to try and live with it for as long as I could.

Well in May I was involved in a serious car wreck. A CT scan showed what they thought was a microfracture around the C4/5 level, so I was sent onto a better hospital where an MRI revealed that the disc was just bulging much more there. So I decided to go ahead with the surgery, because the pain was getting to be way too much. I was approved for the artificial cervical disc replacement surgery and had my operation on July 3rd, which would make me about 11 days post op now.

For the first few days I didn't feel too great. I was in a lot of pain and had trouble sleeping. Now I am able to drive, have pretty good mobility, and my pain has decreased (although some is still there). I did have some problems with my scar on the front of my neck though--I used cheap bandgages and had an allergic reaction and broke out in a rash all over my body and the incision became slightly infected. I go back to see my spine doc the 16th for my 2 week follow up and am anxious to see how my recovery compares to others. I'm not going to lie, I still have pain, and I still have trouble sleeping, but hopefully in the next few weeks to months I will be back on the road to leading a normal life again.

• Hi Sarah

Glad to hear you're doing well! I'm awaiting a referral to go see a surgeon about disc replacement. Most people on this forum talk about fusions, so it's nice to get info on the DR surgery. My problem is much lower at L-5. Did they use the Charite, Maverik or Prodisc on you?

Keep up the healing and please let us know how you're feeling from time to time.

Best Wishes Sarah...

Diana (NorCal_Girl)

• sarah bell- What levels did you get the Adr on? Did you get any fusions done at all on any levels? I have three bulges in my neck. I am not a surgical candidate yet but my Dr. said most likely in a couple of years. I am really hoping that when my time comes I can get an Adr. I am now 29 yrs old but when I had just turned 28 when all my problems started. Being young I only want something that is going to last and give me the best quality of life.

I hope your healing is fast and take care of yourself. Let us know on your progress and how your days get better. I usually post in the cervical area due to my area of problems but I do read a lot in this area also looking for people who are getting or have had an ADR. It is really encouraging to hear that you got an ADR with more than one level of problems.

Take care of yourself.
    Best wishes,

• Sounds like you are doing great!
  • It's always good to hear success stories, especially on relatively new techniques. I hope your recovery continues to go well - don't worry about the soreness and sleeping, that will settle - you're still very early out!

Good luck, Spicey