Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi All.. my intro

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in New Member Introductions
hi all good to be here i have already learnt so much my problems are quite minuscular compared to most here but are certainly wearisome. I am a 21yo bodybuilder who 18 months ago began to suffer from chronic pain in the left side of my upper back. In a short amount of time my left latissimus dorsi had atrophied to half the size of my right. After having an EMG/NCV scan the problem was diagnosed as an isolated thoracodorsal nerve dysfunction that is chronic in nature. I have not yet learned the cause of the injury, which leaves me wondering if when i eventually return to training the problem will return again. My Sport Physician advised that with a limited workload in the gym and avoiding overly stressing the lats that the nerve should have reinervated after 18 monthes. Those 18 months have now passed and i still have a muscle imbalance between the lats and mild pain in the left lat and left thoracic area. After being unable to train the back my strength has diminished and my posture seems to have worsened slightly. My left shoulder noticeably hangs forward and is uncomfortable to pull back and down into correct posture. In the last 6 months i have also had some sciatica like pain and inability to "feel" the muscle contract in my left hamstring and calf. I haven’t exercised in months in fear of further injuring myself. I have no pain or injury to the right side of my body. I am seeing my sports dr again next week and will ask for another scan to check the nerve but i am sure there is an underlying issue. I am unsure of my next course of action and would appreciate any advice.

• Hi Scapegoat,

Well I guess I can start off by saying ... bummer. I too am a fitness freak and I too have a severe muscle imbalance. The muscles I have that are atrophied are my right trap and my left and right seratus as well as two muscles deep and high in my neck on the left side. I can relate to what you are going through to a certain extent.

I hope that your Doc has some more news or info for you next week. Did the doc have any MRI's done?

One of the things my neurologist told me is that as far as they (the docs) are generally concerned, is that as long as the muscle hasn't been completely denervated it's not a crisis to them. Of course they aren't the one's suffering the pain that the imbalance causes!!! So if a person has a muscle that atrophies to 50% it's original size but still is functioning ... Talk about frustrating!

The reason I bring this up, is that I had to really get the docs to stay focused on helping me out. Once they ran a bunch of tests and did a bunch of MRI's and CT's, a couple of them just went into slow mode. Meanwhile my body did not and the pain and imbalance increased. What I did was stayed engaged in keeping the docs focused on helping me. If I hadn't done that I would be waiting months and months ...

Personally I think that a lot of docs have a difficult time understanding how an imbalance in the upper torso can effect someone.

I wish you the best and welcome to Spine Health.

• I am sure you will get the support and help you are looking for here at SH. The best you can do for yourself is to see the right doctors and get tests to pinpoint your problems. Hope to see you around the board.
  • Hello and welcome to SH. I'm glad you're going for a second opinion and hopefully you'll get all the necessary tests and you find out what's the cause of your problem so you can start getting the right treatment...
    Good luck and keep on posting.
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i think your best bet is to see your sports doctor and listen to him. good luck and i hope to see you around the forum. Jenny :)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message

Hearing your member name makes me think that you sort of got the rotten end of some deal. Its clear that you know the body parts and various muscle groups. I would suggest that while you are talking with your sports doctor you discuss what tests can be done to identify more of your problem. A MRI might be in order, but that is something for your doctor to say. When I hear the word thoracic, it automatically starts to tighten up my upper back. The 'dreaded' rhomboid muscle is responsible for much of the upper Tdisc discomfort. Its one of the more stubborn and difficult muscles to treat. Normal Physical Therapy and Ultrasound for the most part can not get deep enough to help with that muscle.
    I think the best thing you can do now is continue talking with your doctor and lay low a bit with the fitness actions until you have a better understanding of what is actually going on.

Good luck and take care
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I will talk with my dr again next week and mention all of your suggestions ;) . I havent had an MRI but will definately enquire about it and report back with my docs comments. :)
  • and good luck on the visit to your doc. Please keep us posted on your progress.