Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Better pain killers? Something for leg pain?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Pain Medications
I am currently taking diclofenac and co-codamol for pain in my lower back. I have had nerve root block injection for leg pain but the leg pain seems to have returned. What kind of medication is usually given to people with leg pain? I can hardly sleep because of the pain in my back, hips and going down my legs. Please help,

Thanks xx ;)

• Alyssa:

OOH Girl was I ever in your position! Of course, there's no way of knowing if it's for the same diagnosis or not, unless the doc says so.

I had a herniated disc that pinched my nerve. I could not walk or put any pressure on my right leg. Either lying down or bending over/leaning against something when I stood made it better. I could not sit down, let alone stand up straight. Felt like I looked like an 80 year old woman! I kept thinking it'd get better.

If I'm not mistaken, I had hydrocodone and neurontin to begin with. Then, Cymbalta which was switched to Lyrica (or was it the other way around?). Nerve blocks, ablations, etc. Those had initial good effects (for about a day....then the medication they gave to do the procedures would wear off....)

I waited and waited for it to get better. It never did.

I finally had a hemi-laminectomy and let me tell you. I could tell the difference as soon as I woke up from the surgery. I was walking by that night. Only problem is that I waited too long, now I have permanent nerve damage. :(
    I still have pain from the other issues I had prior to surgery (the other herniations and bulges, DDD, etc) but not that all-encompassing excruciating pain in my right leg.
    Ask about surgery before it's too late. If your MRI shows you have a nerve that is being impinged, have the surgery as soon as possible.

Wishing you well with everything!

• Thanks Jeaux, wow you've been through a lot.
    I have had the diagnosis of facet joint syndrome/osteoarthritis at L4-S1. I think... to be honest I would go for surgery because I just can't see me getting along with this pain. I'm all hunched over and sometimes can't even balance myself. Let alone sleep, stand, walk, sit. What else??? Grrr I hate this. Although I'm not sure if my surgeon would be willing to perform surgery on me as I have already been though a 5 level fusion for scoliosis almost 2 years ago now. I have an appointment with Mr Lam (spinal surgeon) on the 31st so I will let you know how that goes.
  • Oh. I didn't know you'd been through all THAT already! My gosh! All you need is something else to make things rough for you.

Well, I hope you find out what's what and they can help you out.

Best wishes!

• :) hi! what about trying the Lyrica again? your nerve pain is not the same as before and it might help you now. just a thought. Jenny