Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1st ESI on Friday

Hi all,
I'm having my 1st ESI on Friday 12/04/15 in the c5-c6 or c6-c7 area. My pain from sitting upright (especially in a hard backed chair) or standing still skyrocket quite quickly to 8-9 range, so I'm hoping for any kind of relief with these shots.
A little nervous about them sticking a needle that close to my spine, but I'm optimistic for good results.
I have DDD and narrowing in c5-c6 and c6-c7 on left side sending pain from my neck into my shoulder, down my arm (tricep usually) to my elbow, and thumb, pointer and middle fingers go numb.
I've done 2 months of therapy with no real positive results, So I guess this is the next step.
I know it might sound silly to some, but I would love some positive prayers sent my way for Friday.

As always my thoughts, prayers and healing wishes go out to all.

• Max_LeeMax_Lee New York, United StatesPosts: 88
    Good luck to you, hope the injections work for you!
    Kieran Lee
     "The loneliest people are the kindest. The saddest people smile the
    brightest. The most damaged people are the wisest. All because they do
    not wish to see anyone else suffer the way they do.''-Anonymous

• Hi there as I do not know how to pm a member here I would love to hear of your experience with your epidural steroid injections. I have been approved for this procedure but very scared by reactions I had to steroids in the past. Hoping the injections went well and will be watching for you to post again!
    Unrelenting pain
  • I had the 1st of 3 shots on Friday. Seems to be helping so I'm definitely going for the 2nd. I was nervous about getting a shot so close to my spine especially after reading some horror stories online. But I can only speak of my experience and say it went really well all in all.

I got to the center and put on the hospital gown (was allowed to leave on pants just no belt). Talked to nurses for blood pressure and stuff, talked to Doctor asking specifically where was he putting the shot (my issues are C5-C6 & C6-C7, and his words "It's kinda like a shotgun, where I place it then it spreads out from there"). Went into the room got on like a message type table face down. They kept telling me to take deep breaths and relax cause I guess my heart beat was a little fast, Duh. They ending up putting the needle to the left and little high of between my shoulder blades. Bee sting needle for them to put numbing medicine in (not too bad). Then told was I would start feeling pressure (kinda felt like they were over filling a balloon). Then I felt a weird pressure/pain go down the nerve of my arm from armpit to my elbow. I moved a little so they asked if I was OK and I told him I felt that down my arm. Then he said your gonna feel this down your arm and he did what ever again and that weird pressure/pain went down the arm again. That was probably the worst part of it and even that wasn't bad compared to the normal pain I've been in with this. That was it wheel chair you back to a waiting area just to make sure you are OK, 5 minutes later giving my girl the no lifting and rest/ice instructions for the rest of the day.
    Later that day I did feel some soreness in the area where the shot was given so I iced it a bit and 1 hydrocodone and chilled watching TV the rest of the evening.

I have to say, its been 3 days now and my pain level is way down. I'm taking way less pain pills. I drove 4 hours to my parents house on Saturday for an early Christmas get together (7 hours there) then 4 hours drive home. Only took 1 Hydrocodone in the afternoon cause a lot of standing around talking to family I started feel some of my pain. Sat down for bit to relieve the pressure and was OK after a while.

Sunday at church with those hard pews was a little bad, but again got away with just 1 Hydrocodone. Normally my Sundays are 1 Hydrocodone after waking, 1 during church cause the hard pews sends pain skyrocketing, and another hydrocodone late afternoon. Then heat and relaxing rest of day watching football. So I went from 3 pills normally down to 1.

Today I took 2 Tramadols before leaving for work and that is it so far. Slight uncomfort in shoulder right now, but only 1-2 pain range. Still a little numbness in my thumb/fingers of left hand.

All in All my experience was not bad and it seems to be helping or at least blocking/masking my pain so I'm definitely going for the 2nd shot.

I have had Cortisone shots before in my feet for Gout symptoms at it has always worked wonders for that pain. Never had any bad reactions to steroids for me also No allergies. I think those are worse shots then this back one was.

Sorry this was so long but I wanted to share my so far positive experience for any who need or can find comfort in it.

As always my thoughts, prayers and healing wishes go out to all.