Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Do operations work?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Lower Back Pain
After my last post and reading many others, I am left wondering if many of you have had a positive outcome from an operation. Most of the contributors seem to have had, if any only short term relief?
Greenbamboo :?

• We do have quite a few successful surgical outcome members posting here. Please check out this thread: http://www.spine-health.com/forum/good-news/many-successful-surgical-patient-outcomes

Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    I can testify that surgery can have very positive outcomes.
    Looking at my medical history, you may think, Why , and how is that possible for someone that has had 7 spinal surgeries??

Sometimes its a matter of genetics, a matter of NOT adhering to the restrictions and limitations that were given, sometimes it just doesnt make sense.

But overall, if you were to poll the entire 10,000+ member community, you would find more positive results coming out of surgery.

I know my 3 ACDF surgeries were total successes! The problems I was dealing with before the surgeries were gone after the surgeries. The fact that I had to have more than on ACDF was more related to my previous spinal condition that anything to do with the actual surgery.

So many people today are pain free because of their spinal surgery. I could not imagine how people could continue with their lives if they did NOT have their surgery. For every story you hear about failed surgery you will hear 10 more that are successful.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • In all seriousness, the laminectomy I had in 2003, saved my life, sanity, marriage, etc. I won't bore you with those details but to answer your queston, YES! operations work! I am 12 days out from another laminectomy, and hopefully I will have a good outcome from this one, also. Too early to tell yet as I am still having a few problems, hopefully due to inflamation from manipulation of the compressed nerve.
    Anyway, I digress as I have a tendency to do,(sorry) but in my opinion, under the right circumstances, with the right doc, surgery is not only a good option, but the only one.

Good luck!
  • :) hi! my first surgery in 1984, a double laminectomy on L4-L5, was a complete success. it is only now these many years later that i suffer from post operative arthritis, bone spurs, disc bulging, and severe sciatica in my left hip and leg. but i consider my first surgery a success!!! Jenny :)
This discussion has been closed.