Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Still looking for anyone who knows about diskitis infection

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Does anyone know about fixing the infection after surgery? Has anyone been treated for it? It has just been detected by MRI but Dr. was out of office. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.

• Welcome to the club.I had it,and still recovering from it.What would you like to know about it?How long ago it was detected?
  • I had surgery April 1st. They were dismissing the pain like it was in my head. So finally on Friday I got a new MRI so another back Dr could give a 2nd opinion, well the tech said I won't need that because it is obvious what is wrong. My Dr was out of the office so I have no idea what is going to happen.
    What did they do for you? How long did it go until they caught yours? Did they have to go back in to clean it out? Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks so much,
  • confirms discitis,it ain't a joke.In my case the pain came back 4wks post op,Jan,18.My NS never thought it's in my head. But...The first time back in hosp,I was diagnosed with "Over doing it".Had IV high dose steroids,and discharged with another 2 wks oral steroids.They didn't help.Superbowl eve lost about 30-40% sensitivity in both legs.Called NS,he called the ER,and the were waiting for me.More steroids....Finally he said it's not me over doing things.First time he mentioned inf
    But it was nowhere to be found.These to hosp stays had 3 MRI. 3rd one suggested very minimally an inf.I asked him to put me on antibiot,he said "No",and discharged next day.Still in pain
    17 days later, i go for follow up.He sees me,2 min later I'm on my way for an MRI and direct admission.Again!So,this is Feb,21.The MRI clearly shows Discitis that has turned into Osteomyelitis.This is when the inf moves to adjacent vertebrae
    I was immediately seen by Inf.Disease Doc.
    It was scary that I didn't have any symptoms,all test were negative,biopsy negative.Only plain old pain,24/7.They started broad spectrum antibiotics.I was on them for 5 wks.
    No help!So,Inf dude said "You've got yeast inf in your spine
    Imagine my reaction!You think Discitis is rare,try Discitis caused by fungi.He put me on double dose of med,and 2 wks later started to see improvement.
    3 monts of PAIN,steroids helped the inf,because they are immunosuppressants,Vancomicin wiped out my white cells count (this is one of the antibiotics).
    This won't be done in one post ;) I'll give you break to read this first.If you want,we can use the chat.

• this is my first day here, i would like to chat with you about it... how do i do that?
  • Nice to see you again.How are you doing?
  • Hi Ferre,

Welcome to SH and I'm so sorry to hear that you have an infection.

I had infection I'm not sure if it was disktis, but it was detected 7 weeks post op. I was on 9 weeks of oral antibiotics. Thankfully because it was treated so soon, I did not have to have the infection cleaned out. It was so weird, the incision opened up and puss was coming out. I do remember like you complaining about severe pain in that area in the hospital and they dismissed it said it was just a tender area. But once the staples were removed, the infection blew out a hole.

Like others above they have had to have IV at home for months at a time. So hopefully you will be in to see your dr. on Monday to start treating the infection immediately.

I pray they don't have to go in a clean it out. Good luck and please let us know how you are doing ok?

• It's great to see you too. You know I saw your screen name but didn't know if it was from the old site. How are you feeling these days? Are you still taking antibiotics?
  • I haven't used it,either.But there is a first time for everything,right.When you are logged,you see these tabs that say My Account,Who is in chat,Chat,etc.Let's hit "Chat" and see...Are you ready?
  • After 10 weeks of waiting for the results of a 2nd MRI scan, my consultant told me yesterday that he suspected I have discitis which was not present in my 1st MRI back in November 2007. I'm a 34 year old female with a history of back problems, which started with a laminectomy and discectomy 20 years ago. I now live in constant pain and am considering a multi-level fusion but now this new problem has revealed itself. As my surgery occured 20 years ago he has ruled out the infection as being of a post operative nature and has ordered a further MRI to confirm discitis and blood/urine tests to try to establish where an infection may have originated from. I'm scheduled to see him again in 4 weeks time for the results but,having done some research on the web, I am worried 4 weeks is too long to wait as if I have discitis the infection can spread and become septic. Has anyone else out there had treatment for discitis? I'm really concerned and am in desperate need of advice!!
  • I had post operative discitis though they were able to diagnose it very late and I spent 2 years struggling on without anybody knowing what was happening. You can email me at nkshirsagar@gmail.com to find out more. Its the worst pain I've ever experienced. Its been about 7 years since the surgery that led to it, and I'm still in significant pain and considering a l4 l5 fusion so that the infection can be killed with the debridement and fusion. Not sure if its the way to go, so am searching for answers myself, but can tell you a lot about discitis. Short test - if you scream when anybody slightly taps the bed you are sleeping on, its discitis !
  • hello, Im amy. I was diagnosed with Discitis 6 months ago. Ive had multiple scans, checkups and blood tests. I got put on Antibiotics but i was allergic so i couldnt take them. What is my next option as i cannot cope with this ongoing pain
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    This is a very old thread, for best support and information I suggest you make a new thread in introductions, you can do this by clicking on 'create forum post' on the left column.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery