Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can someone help? Back issue or something else?

TwaltTTwalt Posts: 1
edited 12/26/2015 - 8:47 PM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hello there,
It's difficult for me to believe, having never had any real back issues that I'm posting here, but here I am. I'm really hoping someone has heard of this and can shed some light or steer me in the right direction. I don't have insurance and have not been to the doctor up to this point. Anyway a quick glimpse of me and my lifestyle... I'm a 38 yo male who's never smoked and doesn't drink. I eat relatively healthy but I could stand to maybe lose 30 lbs. I've never really had any health issues my entire life. I used to be a FedEx driver but about 10 years ago I quit and started my own business. For probably 9 1/2 of those years, each day I would spend hours and hours sitting at the computer doing work related things. My back never really hurt but I had been reading articles about the dangers of sitting for long periods of time so I decided to purchase a stand up desk. So for the past 3-6 months I'm standing hours and hours in the same spot. Now whether or not any of this has anything to do with this is unknown. But since my back is suddenly bothering me I think it's important to mention. I've been putting in really long hours this month and sometimes stand for 12-14 hours a day. I do move around but I find myself in that 1 spot quite often. So this brings us to the incident that occurred last Friday.

It was another really long day and I had laid down to go to sleep around maybe 2am or so. All my life I've generally slept in different positions throughout the night but I've sort of fallen in to this sleeping position where I lay on my left side/arm. When I sleep, I usually sleep soundly throughout the night. Well last Friday I woke up around 7am or so. My left arm was hurting quite bad... Right in the bicep area. I slowly got up.. Almost in a daze and sat down in the chair in my room. My arm was really hurting and my tongue was hurting too. My mom was actually coming over early on Friday to help with work so I got lucky in that respect because she came in about 15 minutes later. She was worried(and me too) it could be a heart issue or maybe even a stroke. I have been stressed out with work a lot lately. I had no symptoms at all(slurred speech, facial issues, etc) of a stroke and besides my left arm hurting, I had no signs of heart issues. We tested my blood pressure and it was around 125\75 and pulse was in mid 60's. My tongue was Swiss cheese though. I apparently bit or chewed my tongue, which I've never done in my life. I also apparently urinated in my shorts. Once again having not done in my adult life. We spoke to a few people about a seizure possibility but it doesn't seem like that could be it. I've never had one in my entire life either.

What I thought it could be was my mattress. My mattress is junk and actually sinks in the middle. I thought maybe I kinked a back muscle or something while sleeping, which caused me pain and I subconsciously bit my tongue in response. The first few days after this happened, my left arm was very sore and I could not fan it out, butterfly style above my head. My back is also hurting between the shoulder blades. Fast forward a little over a week later to today and my arm and back still bother me. I have no other symptoms that I'm aware of. I've been forced to now sleep on my right side since my left arm is bothering me. I seem to be getting stronger but I still can't raise my left arm more than half way up. My back hurts a lot at night and I have to get up half way through to sleep in the recliner. When I get up for the day my back is really tender about right in the middle, going down to the base of my rib cage. It's so hard to adjust to this because I've never had any issues before in my life. Once I'm up and walking around the pain in my back generally goes away but my arm is still messed up. The pain returns when I lie down to go to sleep. I know I should go to the doctor and I will if this doesn't correct itself soon. I just wanted to see if anyone here knows or suspects what this could be... I feel like it was related to the mattress but maybe not. One final thing... There had been many nights that I woke up with a sore back on that mattress. I probably should have addressed it awhile back. I really appreciate you taking the time to read this.. Take care... Todd

No one on the Spine-Health patient forums is medically qualified to provide any advice or recommendations. you need to seek the advice from your doctor

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    More Info Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Liz -Spine-health Moderator

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery