Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lateral Recess Stenosis

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
For the past month I was running around thinking that I only had a herniated disc, until I finally got a copy of my MRI report.

(My doctor didn't bother to tell me I had stenosis)

I was hoping that the herniated disc would resolve with conservative measures.

I've got lateral recess stenosis secondary to a herniated disc.

This is confusing, because there are different types of stenosis.

If this herniated disc "shrinks" or whatever, will the stenosis improve? Or is the stenosis permanent?

My MRI and history are in my signature.

Thank You.

• None of the lateral recess stenosis was addressed during my husbands's first surgery...a L2-5 laminectomy. He still had a lot of pain afterwards and subsequent surgeons thought it could be part of the lingering pain. His lateral recess stenosis was decompressed with his L2-5 revision laminectomy and fusion. I never knew the difference in types of stenosis before the first surgery. Afterwards, I fould quite a bit of literature that indicated many lumbar surgeries fail b/c the lateral recess stenosis is not resolved.

You might want to get another opinion. Don't go to surgery until you feel comfortable that your surgeon understands what is causing the pain and has a plan to resolve it.

If you can find the post Fusion by Dave on the old website, you will find some info in it on lateral recess stenosis I believe.

Best wishes for finding some answers. Terri
  • Terri:

Thank you! My post was sitting for days with no response. I see a surgeon tomorrow. I was referred to him by PCP who had a microdisectomy....So, I think this surgeon specializes in microdisectomy...I'll make sure that everything is addressed.