Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SSI Disability question

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Hello, I have read many post of the past 3 years and have learned alot from the message board. Thank you! Now I have a question about ssi. Why is it that they want you to see physciatrist during the fist apllication process and what is that like? I am a little depressed due to the pain and not being able to live my life like I did before I got hurt (but who wouldn't be). I don't pain on hurting myself or anything klike that, If someone could clear that up for me that would be awesome.

• Actually they are not concerned about hurting yourself but chronic pain and depression go hand in hand. If your depression is linked to your chronic pain it will help to strengthen your case. Most of us that suffer chronic pain are also suffering from some degree of depression. Hope that helps.
    BTW- Welcome to SH. Why don't you tell us a little about yourself in the new members section. We would love to get to know you. Being among friends that understand what you are going through really helps with my depression. Hope to see more of your posts and look forward to getting to know you.
  • Welcome to Spine Health. You are absolutely correct in saying a lot can be learned from this site!

In my experience (I worked for my state's local Disability Determination office 10 years), an examination is made if:

a: You stated you are depressed, or anxious, or both, etc. and have had no treatment for this.
    b: You stated you are depressed, etc. and have treatment, but not in the last 6 months.
    c: You stated you are depressed, and are receiving treatment from your regular family doctor, but not by a PhD or other mental health provider.

If you state you have that problem, the Soc Sec Office HAS to address it before they make their decision.

Likely - they (Social Security Office) will ask for a Mental Status Examination.
    This examination will cover your ability to remember things (short and long term), if you are a danger to yourself or others, if your mental state significantly limits your ability to perform usual daily activities, the affect your medication has on your mental state (as in ability to concentrate, think, etc), your short and long term memory, and other important mental health issues. They will do all this just by a casual conversation, and asking you specific questions. If you are taking medication, you may ask that doctor's office if you should take your meds before you go in (so they can see how you function without your meds). Hope this helps.

Good luck on your claim!

• I applied in May 2009 for Social Security Disability in California. I contacted the person handling the case to check the status on my Claim & they said that they finally recieved all my Medical Records & will now have the Doctor who works in their Office Review my Records. Once the Doctor reviews my Records then they Send all my Documents (and their Input I guess) to the Social Security Office to make the Decision.
    They said I should here an answer next month & if I don't here from them to call them back to check the status of my claim.
    They said they can't give me an idea on the way the case is going whether good or bad). They also said they usually go by Order of File, but since I've been calling regularly they will pull my File out and work on it sooner.
    First of all I thought they are the Determination People & the ones handling my case & the one who will make the decision. They said Social Security makes the Decision. Did things change? I thought they were the determination People. Can someone tell me how it works??
    They said it works like this
    1.They gather all the necessary medical documents if they need more.
    2.Then they have a Doctor in their Office Review the Records.
    3.Then Send them to Social Security Office for them to make the Decision.
    Okay here's the question. They said I should be getting an answer next month since I've been following up regularly. (It will only be a Total 3months since I filed)
    Is it good or Bad that I might get an answer in 3months?
    PLEASE anyone who filed with Social Security Disability & has any Insight, whether you've been Denied or Approved please share your story on how long it took for you to recieve the decision that was made?
    Does it take longer for them to Deny you or longer for them to Approve you?
    Based on my Condition I will Qualify for 1year back pay.
  • my heart goes out to you because everyone who applies has that anxious panicked feeling and all you can do is wait.
    I applied on Oct. 24th and was approved one of the last days in December.

What they told you sounds about like what I was told. I don't think it takes longer to approve than deny, I think it depends on how many cases there are to work on and how quickly they get what they need. But I am no expert - that is just what happened to me. I think if I had been denied I would have gotten the letter the same day.

Try not to do what I did and google everything and drive myself crazy. People do get approved. I'll think good thoughts for you. I know it's so hard not to obsess over it because it's so important. I hope you will feel better.
  • You are correct - the DISABILITY office determines whether or not you meet the disability requirements based on medical issues.

The Social Security Administration (SSA) determines the technical issues. These technical issues involve things such as: whether you have worked and paid in enough quarters to qualify to even file a claim, your benefit amount, whether there are children involved who are eligible for benefits, etc.

The Disability office cannot work your claim faster because you call often. The only claims to receive priority are cases where there is a terminal illness involved, cases over 300 days old, cases over 200 days old. In that order.

The Disability office also cannot tell you one way or the other in which direction your claim is leaning (approval or denial). This is because if they tell you "Looks like you're going to be approved!" and then a doctor on staff reviews the file or someone in the Quality Assurance office reviews the file and disagrees with you, that will cause problems. One last thing.... the Disability office randomly selects files that are approved to go to the MAIN office in Dallas. The folks in Dallas go over the files with a fine-tooth comb to be sure the correct decision is made, there is enough medical and non medical information in file to back up this decision, the correct onset date is given, etc. This is so the claimant gets a fair shake, and to be sure the disability examiner made the correct decision (and not just approved someone they know on the down-low). Each decision has to be backed up by facts in case the FEDERAL AUDITORS review files - everyone has to be on the up and up.

I hope this information helps you or at least gives a little insight as to how things work. If not, let me know.

Best of luck to you.