Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

back surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone
My surgery is finally approaching. Monday August4th. The ortho told me at pre op that it is at least a 2 level fusion TLIF and removal of five cysts. My diabetes may hinder somewhat but I have confidence in him to do what is right.
My concern is all the messages I have been reading about bad experiences in hospital and pain control. It makes me even more anxious!!!
I stopped pain meds a month ago, per os orders. Will have pump.
Just wanted to say without being rude, that reading all of this makes the wait even worse.
But, I do thank everyone who welcomed me and wished me well.And, yes I have 'recovered' from son's elopement. Guess it gave me something else to think about!!
Anyway, Can't wait until Monday.
Oh, the hospital 's ortho unit was built for my os's practice. Was feeling good about upcoming hospital stay until I read all the
'woes' expressed!!

Having L4 L5 fusion, possible more. With cage, screws, pins and removal of 5 cysts.

• pizzagal, dont worry, please it is not worth the stress. For the record I had great Drs who made sure I was comfortable all the time and was in no pain.
    Now that you have come off pain killer pre op you will probably need less then before so you have nothing to worry about.
    All will go well I am sure of it and it is time to start thinking like that. :P
    DO you ever do affirmations?
    I know before surgery I was saying "I am so pleased that this surgery has been such a success and I bless the Doctors and nurses who have helped me."
    Yep I hadn't had the surgery yet but it sure helped me- KNOWING that all was going to be fine.

Blessings for you on Monday- your big day and a new start to you life.
  • Pizzagal, There are just as many good stories. My pain was controlled excellently at the hospital and since. I had the morphine pump and then percoset and valium for spasms. If you have any pain let them know, they do not want you to be in pain. Like Angelback says take a positive approach and look forward to yourself without pain. I woke up in the recovery room and all of the leg and back pain that I had was gone. Not that it has been a walk in the park, but I was afraid that it would be so much worse than it was. Try to enjoy today and tomorrow before your surgery and best wishes to you!!
  • Hello Everyone I have to have surgery for my l5 s1 have completed the enjections,and also had a discagram done last week man did that hurt like heck was wondering if anyone as any other ideas on options besides surgery my disk is shot I suppose just nervous about it thanks everyone .
  • Hello Pizzagal,

Please, try to relax and trust your doctor that he will keep you as pain free as possible. You may have noticed on this site that everybody is different. So just because some people experienced a lot of pain it does not mean that you will too. Take my word for it, as I had an absolutely pain-free experienced with my three-level lumbar fusion. For the first two days I had a pump so I thought maybe this is why I don't have any pain. But when it became obvious that I could not tolerate the morphine, it was removed and I still had not felt pain. The only reason I got some Tylenol occasionally was because I had a slight fever on and off. Turned out to be a flare-up in my chronic lung problem.

So - like I did - you may not need any or at least not much pain killer meds. But if you do, you doc will do his best to give you enough to control your pain as long as you need it.

So relax, Sister, and good luck! We'll be thinking of you,

• I didn't have any uncontrolled pain either in hosp. or at rehab. I did have to learn to ask for my pain pills at the appropriate time (like an hour before PT). since I got home have had muscle spasms in lower leg, but my PCP is helping me to keep them under control and he ordered me a TENS unit to help control the rest of the pain.
    I have gotten to where I only take a pain pill at night - for the accumulated aches and pains of the day.
    So don't continue to panic - we are all different, but we can all talk and kick and scream until we do get relief.

My thoughts are with you
  • I am only 2.5 weeks after a multi-level fusion and I have nothing but great things to say. I do have my good days and my bad ones, but I expected that before I had the surgery done.

99% of EVERYTHING negative is due to my own decisions and actions; the relief and physical condition I am in currently is phenomenal and I attribute that to my surgeon and the hospital staff

The hospital dealt with my needs, desires, and pain so greatly that I was home 48 hours after surgery... remarkable if I say so myself. I was walking the halls 3 hours after I woke up and my staff helped me every step of the way.

When I aksed for a particular drug, I was given it via IV within 15 minutes and they kept me on-top of all pain and discomfort.

At home, I have exceeded my docs expectations and kept ahead of all breakthrough pain, etc. I am preparing to return to work next week on an abbreviated schedule, but I could not be more pleased with what the docs and staff did, and are currently doing.

I wish you all the luck you need, and hope that you are just fine.....remember, you need an absolutely positive attitude going in so you can handle any setbacks you MAY have, but then revel in ALL success you WILL have

Best Wishes........
  • My surgery and hospital stay were alog perfectly. Dont worry, you'll be in good hands no doubt.

Best Wishes,
    Christina :)
  • Eazy - it took a discogram to convince me that my pain really WAS all from my discs and that I needed the surgery.

I had been avoiding surgery for several years. I tried everything I could.

The final deciding factor was the bladder control, not a symptom I felt I could live with. I had decided that I could live with the pain.

Read all the comments on the thread: Are there any GOOD fusion stories - I think there has been some great discussion there and it's worth wading through the lengthy posts and links to get to a decision you feel comfortable with.