Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Dad in need of Help!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
My dad has just been admitted to hospital. He can't exert pressure on his right leg as it will cause excruciating pain from his buttock right down to his leg.

I'm pretty sure that's sciatica but I would like a second opinion.

And for any suggested treatments as well!

I'm really worried about him.

The doctors in the hospital are taking things slow which adds to my worry.

Please Help!

• and welcome to the forum. I think that it is wonderful that you are coming here to try to find info for your Dad but right now it is probably best to let the docs do what they need to do. I know that it is hard and frustrating to have to wait but waiting does end up getting results. Also , it is hard , if not impossible to try to say what your Dad may or may not have. None of us are doctors on here....however once you know what it is that he is facing then you can and will find a ton of support and understanding here. Please keep us posted as to how the both of you are doing....take care....Miki
  • :) hi! how lucky your dad is to have you. you sound so concerned about your dad! i hope he is feeling much better soon. i would not want to give you any opinions about your dad's leg because he is in the hospitol. soon they will give you a diagnosis and then we can give you some opinions on that! really, just try and relax and let the doctors give you that news. but be on their behinds! they propably do need that and you can really help move things along for your dad! so be assertive and bug em!!! good luck and there is always someone around if you need to talk! we care!Jenny :)
  • Thank you for all the concern!! really appreciate it!

Well the results of the MRI scan are out- my dad has a 'prolapsed disc' as they call it. Apparently the slipped disc is pressing against the leg nerves which sends shooting pain whenever he tries to walk. The pain has pretty much gone away, but there is still some lingering pain whenever he tries to walk.

What's the best way to cure this?

He's currently trying different types of massages to soothe the pain.

Cheers people
  • be doing the best thing. It is always best to try all of the conservative treatments before considering surgery. Try and be patient and I think that everything will be just fine. Please let us know how he makes out.
  • My dad has undergone several massage treatments yet to no avail. He can't drive right now as the pain in his right leg would worsen after every single ride. Heard that the success of surgery is 50-50 and my dad is still considering other options.

Please do give any info of whatever we can do.

• has he been to get a second or maybe even 3rd opinion? Most all of us have gone through the same thing. It takes alot of patience because figuring out exactly where the pain is coming from is not an easy task. Many things can be seen on xray or MRI but still may not be what is causing the pain. All of the conservative treatments that are being tried with your dad are very normal. But, if he does not feel confident in the doc that he has it is always a good idea to get as many opinions as possible. The spine is very complicated with all of the nerves that run through it and it really can take some time to get a diagnosis and treatment. Slow is exactly how they have to take it and we all know how frustrating that is for the patient. Are they at least managing his pain with meds of some sort? If not he may want to ask about this. It may help him get by until they can find the problem. Unfortunately for many of us there is no real cure at this time and we have to rely on pain meds to get us through everyday life. I think that it is just great that you are being so supportive of your dad. That is exactly the best thing that you can do for him right now. You may really want to encourage him to get a couple of more opinions. When there are issues with the spine that is always the best thing to do. Please kep us posted on how your dad is doing and if you have more questions, please ask.
  • My dad went to see the doctor today. So far he's the best spinal surgeon in my country. This is what he said:

He has an uncontained extrusion of Nucleus Pulposus at L5-S1 with compression of Right exiting L5 nerve root. With his symptoms and clinical exam correlating well, I feel he would benefit well from a minimally invasive Microdisectomy with 2 days in ward. A delay may cause disc to become detached and sequestered. Surgery will be much more difficult, risky and I may need to open up more spine lamina.

So the best thing is to go through with a surgery??
  • I would if I were him. If he doesn't he risks permanent nerve damage.

Good luck,

• Hiya,

Please dont delay on the surgery, the doctors hesitated with my surgery and i now have permanant nerve damage . Good Luck!