Severe muscle spasm or severe nerve pain?

Welcome to Spine-health’s Neck Pain patient community. You can also read doctor approved Neck Pain Articles and watch the Neck Pain Video.
21 posts / 0 new
Last post
ButterflyPain
ButterflyPain's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Title: Member
Joined: 08/09/2008 - 2:42pm
Severe muscle spasm or severe nerve pain?

Since my pain started and for the last few months I've been having bad pain that is most severe on the left side where the shoulder and neck meet (I guessing C7) . When I tilt my head to the right shoulder I can feel a pull and tight feeling along with a pain that is sort of hard to describe , best I can say is a burning pain sort with a bad ache , sometimes maybe sharp if I pull my neck to the right. The pain goes up the left outer side to the back of my left ear and sometimes there is a nerve on the top of my head on the left side , more specifically on the part of the head in the left corner of my left eye. Sometimes I get pain around my left eye as well, and left shoulder pain along with pain down the arm and sometimes left leg pain.

Only thing that may help it for a bit is icing, sometimes heat, and my Soma is probably the only thing I take that helps for a bit . I am thinking of restarting my mobic (anti-inflam) that sometimes helps.

I do have a nasty tight muscle in the middle back of my left shoulder that the massage therapist said was as hard as a rock and couldn't massage out, so maybe that is it.

I don't know...Anyone else ever get this? Would it be a muscle spasm causing it or is it more nerve pain or both or something else like OA or ?

Thanks.

advertisement
broskisr
broskisr's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Title: Member
Joined: 07/30/2008 - 8:34am
That sounds just like I have

That sounds just like I have been feeling today. My normal pain meds were not helping at all. I reached back on the left side of my neck and it was hard as a rock. I took a zanaflex about 1 1/2 hrs ago and it is easing up some what. I thought about taking an anti-inflam also. I think today for me was just tight.

ButterflyPain
ButterflyPain's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Title: Member
Joined: 08/09/2008 - 2:42pm
Sorry to hear about your pain.

broskisr wrote:
That sounds just like I have been feeling today. My normal pain meds were not helping at all. I reached back on the left side of my neck and it was hard as a rock. I took a zanaflex about 1 1/2 hrs ago and it is easing up some what. I thought about taking an anti-inflam also. I think today for me was just tight.

I tried Zanaflex and it gave me a mild allergic reaction feeling of mild stinging in my mouth and bottom of my feet for the first hour or two of taking it. So I just quit it. My doctor was thinking maybe my body was used to the Soma, cause sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. I'll take my mobic tomorrow see if that helps. Sometimes I think Mobic doesn't work for me, but if I stop it after a week or two, I definitely notice more pain ... And the mobic helps for two hours or so. eh.

Before your surgery what were your disc problems if I may ask?

Thanks for your response.

french (not verified)
Title: Member
neck pain sounds exactly like mine

Hi, I'm new here and just saw your post. Very interesting as it is what i have. The xrays showed I have fasic arthritis, I believe that is what its called. The pain seems to settle during night after taking Klonopin and tramadol. But if I get stressed or sit at computer for long periods it really hurts. I can't afford an MRI so I don't know what I am going to do. Does this get worse or go away by itself in time? Anyone?

broskisr
broskisr's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Title: Member
Joined: 07/30/2008 - 8:34am
Before my surgery my 5/6,6/7

Before my surgery my 5/6,6/7 were blown out left, rignt and central, my 4/5 just central. I had 5/6,6/7 fused and left 4/5 because it wasnt "bad enough for surgery at this time". Most of the issues I still have are from the pressure on the nerves 5/6/6/7 I think. I am better than before surgery because I could not manage the pain and spasams at all. Now at least I have some better days than others.

ButterflyPain
ButterflyPain's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Title: Member
Joined: 08/09/2008 - 2:42pm
Hi

french wrote:
Hi, I'm new here and just saw your post. Very interesting as it is what i have. The xrays showed I have fasic arthritis, I believe that is what its called. The pain seems to settle during night after taking Klonopin and tramadol. But if I get stressed or sit at computer for long periods it really hurts. I can't afford an MRI so I don't know what I am going to do. Does this get worse or go away by itself in time? Anyone?

Welcome.
Sorry to hear about your pain. I wish I could afford another MRI, but not right now. I've never taken tramadol, but Klonopin does help sometimes. Maybe you should try a muscle relaxer or an anti inflam for the arthritis. Heat and Ice can help.
It depends on the person. Arthritis will never go away. You can have good days , but it still will affect you. I heard stretching and light exercise can help or movement period. I also have heard swimming is really good.
I've been suffering for almost two years, so I would say it will continue. Sad

ButterflyPain
ButterflyPain's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Title: Member
Joined: 08/09/2008 - 2:42pm
aww

broskisr wrote:
Before my surgery my 5/6,6/7 were blown out left, rignt and central, my 4/5 just central. I had 5/6,6/7 fused and left 4/5 because it wasnt "bad enough for surgery at this time". Most of the issues I still have are from the pressure on the nerves 5/6/6/7 I think. I am better than before surgery because I could not manage the pain and spasams at all. Now at least I have some better days than others.

Wow it seems you had it worse than me. I'm glad the surgery helped you out somewhat. Chronic pain is not fun at all!
Thanks for the info.

jay911
jay911's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Title: Member
Joined: 08/22/2008 - 5:19am
Ever since we did our

Ever since we did our "teambuilding" event here at work that really messed me up, I have been dealing with what feels like a pulled muscle that goes from my knee all the way up to my head. The worst is around my shoulder blade and neck. Now if I start feeling like I'm doing too much I can pretty much guarantee that the next day it will return, so I really have to pay attention to my body saying "enough is enough."

Alternating heat & ice packs helped a lot, my doc told me to take my valium 4x per day instead of 1x per day and I use my TENS on my upper back & neck. The first occurrence took 3 weeks to resolve, now since I'm being a little more careful, it only takes two or three days to resolve.
Jay

jasro
jasro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 5 months ago
Title: Member
Joined: 09/26/2008 - 9:53am
Butterfly

I have the exact type of pain you've described. It makes it difficult (mentally & physically) to do the neck stretches I learned in physical therapy. I'm hanging in there with the stretches though.

Hope you find an answer & relief soon.

Regards,
Jasro

shortfuse5691
shortfuse5691's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 24 min ago
Title: Member
Joined: 06/14/2009 - 1:27pm
ButterflyPain wrote:Since my

ButterflyPain wrote:
Since my pain started and for the last few months I've been having bad pain that is most severe on the left side where the shoulder and neck meet (I guessing C7) . When I tilt my head to the right shoulder I can feel a pull and tight feeling along with a pain that is sort of hard to describe , best I can say is a burning pain sort with a bad ache , sometimes maybe sharp if I pull my neck to the right. The pain goes up the left outer side to the back of my left ear and sometimes there is a nerve on the top of my head on the left side , more specifically on the part of the head in the left corner of my left eye. Sometimes I get pain around my left eye as well, and left shoulder pain along with pain down the arm and sometimes left leg pain.

Only thing that may help it for a bit is icing, sometimes heat, and my Soma is probably the only thing I take that helps for a bit . I am thinking of restarting my mobic (anti-inflam) that sometimes helps.

I do have a nasty tight muscle in the middle back of my left shoulder that the massage therapist said was as hard as a rock and couldn't massage out, so maybe that is it.

I don't know...Anyone else ever get this? Would it be a muscle spasm causing it or is it more nerve pain or both or something else like OA or ?

Thanks.


I have the same problem and therapist says the same thing. They used a tens unit on me yesterday and today I am so miserable i missed work and have been in bed all day. The tens unit helped me enough that I ordered one yesterday to keep on me. I go to therapy again thursday. I guess they over worked my muscles yesterday I dont know. I wanna cry!

2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
Steroid injections series x 4.

ButterflyPain
ButterflyPain's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Title: Member
Joined: 08/09/2008 - 2:42pm
Aww

shortfuse5691 wrote:
ButterflyPain wrote:
Since my pain started and for the last few months I've been having bad pain that is most severe on the left side where the shoulder and neck meet (I guessing C7) . When I tilt my head to the right shoulder I can feel a pull and tight feeling along with a pain that is sort of hard to describe , best I can say is a burning pain sort with a bad ache , sometimes maybe sharp if I pull my neck to the right. The pain goes up the left outer side to the back of my left ear and sometimes there is a nerve on the top of my head on the left side , more specifically on the part of the head in the left corner of my left eye. Sometimes I get pain around my left eye as well, and left shoulder pain along with pain down the arm and sometimes left leg pain.

Only thing that may help it for a bit is icing, sometimes heat, and my Soma is probably the only thing I take that helps for a bit . I am thinking of restarting my mobic (anti-inflam) that sometimes helps.

I do have a nasty tight muscle in the middle back of my left shoulder that the massage therapist said was as hard as a rock and couldn't massage out, so maybe that is it.

I don't know...Anyone else ever get this? Would it be a muscle spasm causing it or is it more nerve pain or both or something else like OA or ?

Thanks.


I have the same problem and therapist says the same thing. They used a tens unit on me yesterday and today I am so miserable i missed work and have been in bed all day. The tens unit helped me enough that I ordered one yesterday to keep on me. I go to therapy again thursday. I guess they over worked my muscles yesterday I dont know. I wanna cry!

So sorry, I know how that is. I want to cry at least once or twice a day. Most of the time I don't...Probably the lexapro or cymbalta keeping me from crying lol...But I do have a cry now and then.

This sort of pain is miserable and I am still mad the pm doctor told me just to take advil...I was thinking in my head "WTF" And plan never to go to him again. At least my neurologist understands.

Yes, a tens unit is good. It has helped me off and on. I need to get new pads for it right now though. They aren't sticky enough and they fall off easily ugh.

Take care.

Pages