Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

New member 4 weeks post L5 S1 Microdiscectomy

DBSAdvisoryDDBSAdvisory Posts: 2
edited 07/19/2017 - 9:10 AM in New Member Introductions

Hi all, I'm a 51 year old male living in the UK originally from Ireland.  I'm very active, have always enjoyed a lot of different sports but unfortunately have suffered back issues from late teens so have had to stop participating in a lot of sports, e.g. football, golf, cricket and now cycling

I had severe sciatic pain in the right leg, particularly from the knee down, since November 2015.  A scan in January 2016 showed a bulging disc that was pressing on the S1 nerve root, hence the pain.  I wanted to avoid an operation so did lots of physical therapy and by August 2016 things were much better, although some nerve pain remained.  Then in January 2017, the pain increased considerably and another scan in March showed the bulge had got a bit worse.  I was down for an epidural steroid injection, but then the disc popped and wrapped around and under the nerve root.  The pain got extreme, I couldn't walk or move much, couldn't work or drive.

So in for the microdiscectomy I went.  The surgeon said it was bad and a lot of the disc had to be removed, he described it as having a run flat tyre remaining, it works but it's not ideal!  Since then, I've been doing Stuart McGill's back exercises as rehab and doing lots of walking.  Up to day 10 post op, things were moving in the right direction but since then the leg pain has come back, though nowhere near what it had been pre op.  The leg below the knee is pretty numb also, and things have not changed much over the last week to 10 days.  I get frustrated pretty easily when I don't see improvement, even if gradual, and hope that things will improve over time and that it is just the nerve slowly repairing and healing from the 18 months compression and the surgery.  Any good news stories of similar slow progress at the start but eventual improvement welcomed.

advertisement

Comments

• Hi, Im 3 weeks post discectomy and decompression surgery, I too have numbness below my knee from the surgery but surgeon says its the nerves inflammed from the operation and will just take time to heal. I understand the fustration also, I had no idea recovery would be this slow or hard but I now understand that we need time and rest to heal, after all our bodies have been through a huge trauma. I too would love to hear from someone who suffered this post op numbness. Anyway, I wish you well with your recovery.