Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

New to pain with a lateral stress fracture at L5.

I'm a 22 year old female. I've never had back pain or trouble before. For the past week, I've had some mild to moderate back pain. I thought I slept wrong or pulled a muscle. I had a CT done for an unrelated reason, I was going to have my gall bladder removed until this happened. The radiologist wrote on the report I have a lateral L5 stress fracture. I got these results Friday. 

It's beyond me how I accomplished this. I'm not an athlete, I dont do any kind of crazy back bending. I can't think of a cause and it's driving me nuts.

I called ortho Monday to schedule an appointment asap. Spine orthopod was booked solid and they actually ended up finding a doctor in sports medicine who would happily see me. He found the fracture on CT but he also did different angled X-rays and my physical exam was consistent with a fracture. My stork test set me on fire. There was controversy if it was just on my left side or bilateral. He had another physicians opinion and they both ended up agreeing I have just one on my left side which makes sense that's where the most intense pain is even though I do have some pain on my right side as well. They also were able to determine st this point this is an acute injury if I manage to screw up and not rest, I was warned this will be a chronic problem.

He took a conservative approach and told me I HAVE to rest...a lot. When I do get up do to do things if I have any pain, that means I need to sit. He was against bracing me since it was only unilateral and he was concerned for muscles sake because of weakness. He doesn't expect me to feel better until about Labor Day if I don't overdo it fully healed 8-12 weeks. I see him again for a progress appointment in 3 weeks light PT might be prescribed then. 

I am noticing: 

- I have a hard time walking. My hip and pelvic bone are also being effected by this. I'm REALLY beginning to wonder if I tore a muscle attachment. 

- I have to keep my left leg straight. If I don't, my pain increases. 

- it hurts to sit. 

- I have to sleep on my recliner because it's too uncomfortable to lay down. 

- when I'm up and moving I'm tired out quickly and walk pretty slow. 

Overall having a hard time walking has me concerned and it's driving me crazy. My doctor told me that can be completely normal and not to worry too much. I just need to listen to my body overall and sit. 

I'm quickly learning back pain is the WORST. 

Has anyone had this or anything similar before? What was your experience like? Any input or recommendations would be appreciated. 

advertisement