Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Nerve pain, headaches increased from alcohol use recently ???

I wanted to see if anyone had the following problem. I have extensive nerve damage in my neck. This causes me daily headaches and nausea. It has been about the same for the last 5 years. I take Gabapentin (2400mg/day) which helps but doesn't resolve it. I have always drank alcohol, which actually gave me some relief while I was drinking. About 1 year ago, I started having strange issues. My neck would get really hot towards the end of the night before bed. About 8/10 times I would drink, I would really feel poorly for several days to a week. Even if I had 1 or 2 drinks. Has anyone experienced this and have you found a solution? I currently barely drink and I am resigned to giving up drinking forever.

DRINKING Alcohol while on medications has always been identified as a potential problem. Please read the label on all of your medications....... - Ron DiLauro
advertisement

Comments

• AkiraAAkira Redlands, CAPosts: 82
    edited 07/28/2017 - 12:34 PM

Yes, Ron.  I know it but I continue to have a couple glasses of wine with dinner while dining out or drink couple of beers while lounging pool side.  I have given up so much in life due to being a CP patient, but my wine and beer I don't think so.  Enjoy your day and hoping for a low number pain day to all.  :>)

Akira/Chuck
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561

Nerve damage could be the key word.  Even though drinking feels so good while doing it , alchohol is a known nerve toxin.  My doctors told me the only time I should drink is to celebrate New Years because of all my nerve issues and central nervous system issues. But like Akira , it is the only time I feel good enough to be social so I have not given it up , but I do it in moderation.  I can say without a doubt I feel much worse if I drink regularly for some special occasions that happen to fall close together.  For me there is a 100 percent correlation between drinking to much and increase in pain, but at same time not having a social life brings its own misery.

Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,357

hi bdesul!

welcome to spine-health

congratulations on bringing your drinking down to "barely"!! 
    but in a way you found your own solution when you stated "about 8/10 times i drank i really felt poorly the next several days'.
    to me this a start, a test so to speak. don't drink and see if you feel better. if not, don't drink and go see your doctor.

please click on the welcome link below for more information on how to get started on the forum.

welcome to spine health

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History