Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

my scoliosis - Part 2

advertisement

Comments

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 427

start slow-with low low weights or even without!  one thing my PT keeps telling me is you MUST have good form....MUST have good form! and the muscles will come.  :-)

Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, decompressions, facet joints removed. cages L4-5, L5-S1, rods, screws, scoliosis reduced to 0*.
    June 2015: Inflam facet arthrosis L1-S, pars fractures L5 and L2, 70* lateral scoliosis with 110* rotational scoliosis on reduction, facet cysts with nerve impingements bilaterally L2-3, L3-4, L4-5, spinal stenosis L2-L4

yesterday's PT was fun.  I managed to almost fall over again...first time in ages!  he says "your stride is still short".  i said "i know".  he said "lets work on fixing that".  then i swear there was evil laughter.  okay, maybe i just remember evil laughter that didn't really happen. So he puts out his grid thing on the floor, the squares are about 15x15.  so he said i want you to step into every OTHER one...he scoots through the "maze" with ease lol.  so i plant my right foot in the first square and line up concentrating on hitting the 3rd square with my still not 100% cooperative left foot and whoohoo!  nailed it....but now i can't get my right foot off the floor...um.....oh dear.....so a little bit of hip twisting and sheer brute stubborness i manage somehow to wrench my foot off the floor and promptly head over to the right where thankfully there's a little half wall that i caught before i ended up on the floor.  interesting.  so....we tried again, this time right foot forward and i can't get my left foot off the floor.....what the heck??!  this time i didn't fall over, but it sure was not easy to get what seems like a tiny little 2 inch piece of muscle that i cannot even feel to contract enough to lift my my leg back enough for my toes to clear the floor.  my PT told me its' because i cannot rock my pelvis anymore, so now we need to train my hip extensor and my hamstrings to take up the slack.  ha ha.  okay, we'll they were both on strike.....still are today.....but i'll figure it out!  and we threw a ball around for a bit, and then he said "we need to work on your shoulders".  okay....."work"....apparently both my shoulder blades (left more) are winging a little bit, so i cannot bring them back together behind me....so he pulls and pushes and says how does that feel and i said i can't feel my left arm....lol.  if i have my shoulders back my muscles hit the top of the left bar, which is almost 1.5 inches longer than the right, and i cannot raise my left arm sideways.  interesting.  as soon as i bring that shoulder forward it's fine.  so.  yet another thing to work on.  he's added some stretching into my "routine"...man, i'm feeling that today!  mostly pecs (the fronts of my shoulders/chest) need to stretch so i can put my shoulders back more easily.  and next time i go he's going to have a list for me, of all the exercises, and he'll say "do 10 of them" or whatever and leave me to my own devices to do them, and then do his pressure point therapy stuff...so i'll end up spending more time there.  and i'll get copies of the lists to bring home so i can track my progress better.  i know i'm getting better but i don't see it anymore, because there's nothing big changing anymore.  the big change yesterday was 10 pounds in the box and lifting it to the shelf, to a stool to the floor and then back to the stool and then back to the shelf.  but i managed to place it on the floor and get it back up no problem!  yay!  too many exercises to remember now though.  so i have to write things down.  and of course, my walking and my swimming too. 

Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, decompressions, facet joints removed. cages L4-5, L5-S1, rods, screws, scoliosis reduced to 0*.
    June 2015: Inflam facet arthrosis L1-S, pars fractures L5 and L2, 70* lateral scoliosis with 110* rotational scoliosis on reduction, facet cysts with nerve impingements bilaterally L2-3, L3-4, L4-5, spinal stenosis L2-L4

• advertisement

ha ha!  physio yesterday.  he calls them "airplanes"  or "747s".  stand on one leg, make sure your pelvis is aligned with that foot....lean forward, other leg out to the back (the tail of the plane) and arms to the side or in front like superman (wings).  and don't fall over.  and don't pivot on your hip.  yeah, i have a new thing to work on.  LOL  lets just say i did one on my right leg, one on my left leg and wanted to go and sit down for 20 minutes. quite funny actually.  found the leaning over part to be the hardest, even with the core muscles engaged, it really works those muscles they have to cut through in the back along the spine.....it's good to work them....BUT.....wow, tough.

my walking is getting better!  finally!  doing some hip flexor stretching, and on purposefully trying to take big long steps and finally i feel like i can walk more normally.  it's weird because the pelvis doesn't tip, so all that motion now has to be done by one of the hamstrings in combo with the hip....feels weird....and isn't a muscle that is widely used!  now, if i can just get the distance up....i can go for about 2 miles on the treadmill no problem, but outside on gravel, or a sidewalk it's only about 3/4 mile before something starts to bug me-ribs or leg or shoulder....ironically NOT my back!  mostly the stuff around where my bars end, like my ribs at T10, T11.  i'm sure it will come.....

swimming is finally feeling more normal.  i have to roll more to do the freestyle to get my arms out of the water enough, but it's coming along nicely.  but the one thing that is annoying me now is standing for a longer period of time (like in line somewhere)....i'm much better if i'm moving around, but standing there for 10-15 minutes i get really stiff....guess my body needs to keep moving!  i'm also doing better on the lifting.  PT taught me to squat down, and then lift straight up.  the mechanics feels a little weird, but it works.  hubby ran a chainsaw this weekend and i lifted rounds to the log splitter and split them and stacked them.  found if i squat down, lift the round to my legs and then stood up i was surprised at the size of the rounds i could lift with absolutely zero pulling, hurting or anything!  of course, after about 4 hours the back said "um, nope.  you are done", so i stopped, we cleaned up and i got out the heating pad for a while and when i woke up the next morning i felt just fine!  small victory!  can't believe i'm almost 11 months out of surgery now, feels like yesterday and feels like years ago. 

• o, WLLady I so understand just standing in line. I step left and right, side to side in my place to try and keep moving.  looks like I am hyper or have ants in my paints, but it works. airplain, that is a hard one for normal ppl. we did that in yoga. I allways had to moddifie that one by putting my arms by my side to not stress my back, or another way is to lock your hands together with pointing fingures pointing straight out in front of you, this gives the back more support as well. but that is so good for balance. now, I have a question for all, can you guys stand with back aganst the wall, and have the back of your head touch the wall, and can you lay flat on the ground?

yes for the wall-i can get my head back to touch the wall....and one of my exercises is to do "wall squats" (they're easy now), back against the wall and squat to 90 degrees on the knees and then slide back up.  and yeah, putting my head back against the wall works. 

no to the floor laying down-i can lay on my front (it's not real comfy but i can do it), but laying on my back flat on the ground doesn't work too well, i have to bend my knees just a little bit-just 2 inches is enough and i can lay there, but not with my knees flat.  but my hip flexors are super tight (we are working on those) and i am finding that it's not feeling as much of a stretch when i lay flat in bed anymore.  so hopefully some day i will be able to.  and if i lay on the floor and put my arms over my head i cannot touch my elbows or arms to the floor unless my elbows are bent 90 degrees.  I can sit on the floor with my legs out in front of me if i lean back a little bit.  if i sit straight up i have to bend my knees-likely again the sciatic nerve tension in my left leg that starts to hurt otherwise.  and my PT told me not to do that until we get that nerve unstuck from wherever it's catching.

yeah, the airplanes are okay if i put my arms to the side more, or even if i put my hands on my sides-like hands on my hips kind of pose, but of course then i'm not using a lot of my back.  ha ha  the airplanes actually really really hurt in my left hip-just a little bit of muscle that i guess i haven't used for a very long time, and if i'm not super careful it flares up the sciatica in my left leg - so now i know that is piriformis....

yeah, i will shuffle in line too...makes me feel self conscious really.....but gotta do what i gotta do! 

now i have to just get the muscles at the tops of my bars to quit being angry.  the rest of my back feels pretty darned decent lately!  i found that biking on a stationary bike actually really annoys the muscles near the top of my bars, and i have no clue how or why.  next question for the PT tomorrow!

• advertisement
  • ok I have same problem with sitting, can't lay on my back with head back HAVE to have a pillow to raise head and I CAN NOT stand with my back against the wall and have head touch no matter what. so looks like the relationship of my neck to back is shifted somewhat. also with that metal plate in my neck its not as flex able, but I could do that pri to surgrey. and doing that allways helped with neck pain now I just have neck pain all the time. so need to figure a way to stretch or realine something. any ideals

how far up are you fused in the thoracic spine again?  sorry, i just can't remember and i know i could go and dig through old messages and find out.....i'm being lazy. 

my PT found that because i was so used to be "hunched" and "skewed to the side" that my neck muscles had really really shortened pulling my head forward.  He's done a lot of work on stretching them out manually as well as having me do some things like trying to look up as far as i can until it stretches, and then side to side etc....but you have a neck fusion too so i don't know how much of that would even be good for you to do! 

i actually just started sleeping with a pillow.....i couldn't before, it would make my back hurt like crazy.  now that i'm getting stronger and better aligned the pillow is nice :-)  my pt actually told me not to sit on the floor with my legs out straight, even if i can, because of the tension it puts on the sciatic nerves and now that the spine is fused any tension on the nerves can actually pull on the nerve roots right into the spinal cord....so.  i threw that completely off my list of things to do.  LOL.  instead i'll kneel on the floor, or sit on my feet if that makes sense. 

physio day today for me.....which is good.  my left knee is really bugging me and i do believe that biking is very very bad for my back....i biked on tuesday and wednesday was miserable with pain up both sides of my spine (likely the spinae erector muscles).  so i didn't bike on wednesday and thursday was good.  i biked 20 minutes yesterday - gently i thought, no tension etc - and today those muscles are very angry again.  so.  something to ask him about.  looks like my "weak" healing point will be those muscles.  i cannot believe how long they are taking to come back.  they did have to totally cut through the right side because of the 110 degree crimp in my spine, but i would have thought after 11 (almost) months that they would have healed up by now! 

and oh joy, the zapping started again today, across my left hip again, deep.....and my right lower back.....hopefully this will wake up more pieces.....fingers crossed.

• hi WLLady, my fusion starts at t-9, the screw on the right and that rod down to screw at t10 were just removed.. now a month ago. oct 5th. my other fusion is c4,c5 and c6. and yes sitting on your feet makes sence to me I use to sit like that for yoga, but now I can't cuz of what the surgrey did to my knees. and also all the numbness I feel in legs. but that's something I think I can get back, just have to keep trying.  and I also have a lot of new zapping the one by left ankle on outside really hurts.  now I will gently try the neck stretching cus the neck muscel on the left hurts so bad lately. and I feel that's whats cuzing the pain down my left arm.. hang in there, I know how bad zapping feels.

I'm having problems with my left knee now too....i think from all the squatting down and standing up.  sigh.  so i'm trying to take it easy on it, do a little more swimming and stuff.  and i swear, all the parts of my back that were zapping and waking up are numb again!  argh!  i hope it's just feeling that way and not really IS that way.....and i discovered that stationary biking is a definite off the list, do not do.  last week i biked on tuesday evening and did not sleep well, sore back all night and all day wednesday.  so i didn't bike on wednesday and i was fine thursday, so then decided to bike thursday and was sore on friday again....it's definitely related to the biking and i get pain up both sides of my spine....all the way to my shoulders.  maybe because i push back in the seat or something?  no clue.  so on friday i talked to the PT about the elliptical instead, and he said "very very gently to start"....no more than 20 minutes and on the easiest setting.  so.  saturday and sunday i did that....and i am FINE!!!!! yay! so.  biking is out, elliptical is in!  and swimming of course.  my weight is creeping (okay, not creeping slowly gasp) up and i need that to stop.  i know i've been eating too much....so.  that changed this weekend as well. LOL. 

but this weekend we cut and split and stacked another 4 cords of firewood-would have done more but the logsplitter quit.  ooops.  sounds like the gas float is sticking....hubby needs to pull it apart and look at it.....i was stiff afterwards, but not bad at all.  nothing the heating pad didn't work out.  shovelled out the turkey pens too, and actually remarked to my hubby that the bags of shavings were too light, that i wonder if they skimped on the contents. LOL.  he said "no, you got stronger in the last 2 weeks!".  i usually cut the plastic open at the end and then flip them over and pull straight up to dump them, and i haven't been able to do that for at least 4 years, and yesterday i realized i'm doing that!!!!  and there's no pulling or pinching or stretching or anything!  20 bags worth of shavings dumped like that, and other than feeling like i did a little workout i felt great!  then the weather changed.....gah.  we went from 68F and calm to huge thunderstorms and lightning and thunder shaking the house and 2 inches of rain in 5 hours....and that put me on the sofa with my heating pad and tylenol.....and as soon as the front had gone through and cleared up again, i was fine.  so.  guess that's the way it's going to be.....physio again this afternoon.....hopefully some new stuff again.  my airplanes are getting better, i can hold them about 20 seconds now!  and i managed to throw the frisbee for the dog this weekend-far enough that he deemed it worthy to go and get it!  LOL.

snow happened here in a big way this morning and last night.  yuck.  walking in this is NOT fun.  i have just invested in ice grippers for my boots.  stable footing is way better.  time to start parking up at the front doors of the building again-thought that era was over.....there's about 6 inches on the ground here, and nothing shovelled, sanded or salted!  okay, it's a little early for us to get lots of snow yet....but still.....i thought my body was better healed.  ah well, onwards!  the next challenge is to figure out how to walk without pushing back and sliding my foot back quite as much in the snow.  step 1: good winter boots with traction.  step 2: hibernate and wait for spring LOL.

I'll get there, just a new set of muscles it feels like.

Physio yesterday was good.  lots of progress again, new exercises.  Put an exercise ball against the wall just at the top of my bars, lean my back against it and then stretch arms out to the sides and back towards the wall until it stretches across my back.  first one felt awful.  second one was better.  third and oh my goodness that feels good!  stretching things that otherwise i cannot stretch!  then harder one-link fingers together and raise arms over head while still leaning against the ball.  HA HA HA HA HA!   yeah, that was a complete and utter EPIC fail....but i'll get there.  just cannot lift my ribs "yet".  ha ha.  they're pinned T10-T12 with the bars, so this will be a long process.....definitely a tougher "stretch". 

good anyways.

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.