Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Do prescribing doctors follow evaluation , experience, routine or what they were taught ??

Comments

• itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561

Sandra, I think a post on your process to genetic testing would be great.  I bet many don't know it exists

Hope, I do beleive we as patients have to know risks in what we are prescribed and be a part of decision process as best we can.  Also sadly our lives require us to take risks with side effects sometimes .

Max, thanks for telling me that.  Have you done it?  I will tell my brother to look into it again.

Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,525

Prescribing medications , especially to long term chronic pain patients is not always an easy task.

I've been working with the same physiatrist for almost 10 years now and we have been through many trial and error periods.  We try to come up with the perfect mix of medications.  We have gone through almost every muscle relaxer that is popular today to determine what works best for me.  She does the same with nerve medications and what is harder is the opioids.

But together we customize a medication plan that I know works for me (at that time)

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • Hi Max Lee

I was always so hopeful when I tried the NSID's there are a lot of great drugs out there that we all wished would work and who wants to rely on pain meds but like you NSID's  are something I cannot take now plus steroids. I wish the doctor's had as part of their requirements  in schooling how and what to prescribe to us Chronic Pain patients. It has to be frustrating to those who want to help us just like that medicine test you have to wonder how many of them know about it or how many insurances won't cover it. That is a truly sad story all of it and you know I bet there are a lot of doctor's who feel bad about the whole mess sorry I get off topic. 

Hi Aaron You are so right we do have to know for ourselves what the side effects are but a lot of people don't even read them the trust the doctor. I used to be that way back when but for years now I always review all the details of a new medication. I think it is important we weight the benefits verses risks. I always think of my neighbor who had cancer and was given a med that would prevent a return of her cancer. Then a few weeks later her knee went out so surgery come to find out it was the med. which had a high risk of muscle break down. She was upset at herself and the doctor if she would have known the risk of that med and the 5% risk it might prevent cancer she would never have taken it at the age of 64.  
    It's like those commercials on TV where the guy is running down the street with a big old grin since taking a drug and then they start rolling through the side effects my son loves those. I told him it is like steroids I am not to have anymore but last Christmas I signed a paper in order to get a shot in my hand the pain was so bad. He is young no pain issues very anti any medication, I pray he never knows what it is about. 
    Sherri

• Max_LeeMax_Lee New York, United StatesPosts: 389

Aaron, I have had the test done. Pretty simple, just a cheek swab; the hard bit is waiting a month or so for the results. Well worth it, though.

Kieran 
     "The loneliest people are the kindest. The saddest people smile the
    brightest. The most damaged people are the wisest. All because they do
    not wish to see anyone else suffer the way they do.''-Anonymous

My Story: https://www.spine-health.com/forum/discussion/90688/pain/neck-pain-cervical/help#latest

advertisement