Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

I am upset and scared. I had PLIF April 2017

Hello. I just read posts from April surgery buddies and I am very discouraged on my recovery compared to everyone else. I know I shouldn't compare my recovery, but it's hard. 

I am 3 1/2 months post op and frustrated and alittle scared. I have gotten no where with PT and they advised me to call my surgeon, who I see on Monday.  Main problem is swelling on incision and positional headaches ( ear fullness, dizziness, close to blacking out with certain movements) new nerve pain on left side. I am so tense that because of the awful head pain now my neck and shoulders burn with pain. I had 2 large dural tears that were repaired during surgery.  Had to lay flat 48 hrs post op with a drain.  I have complained to my surgeon since my 2 wk appointment regarding the headaches etc. He assured me my dural tears were repaired. Yuck!!!!! So How do I get him to understand me on Monday?  Something needs done.  I have followed all his advise. 5 wks of PT. My symptoms are worse. I am so tired of feeling sick and in pain. I can't work. I can't handle anything. I am not a baby. I have worked through yrs of pain, with a unstable spine because my 1st spine surgery was a mess( different surgeon). He took to much bone and left my vertebrae so wobbly it tore holes in my dura!!!!! 

Anyone out there have similar symptoms? 

Thank you for letting me vent. I am frustrated,  my family is frustrated.  I am usually not one to complain. I tend to just say I am fine, but I am worried. 

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,353

Lizard41

Everyone is different and heals at different rates. But I would be concerned to with everything you have going on.
    I'm a big believer in my "notebook". Start you a daily journal of what you are going through. I know it will be for only today and tomorrow but keep notes of how you feel, the headaches, ears, dizziness and pain. If a family member notices something have them write it down.
    When you go to the doctor take your notebook so you won't forget anything. I found they tend to take you more serious when you've taken the time to write it down.
    Hang in there and let us know Monday.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Thank you Sandra. I will do that.

• advertisement
  • I feel for ya.  I've had a csf leak for....8 mos now, it is very frustrating.  The original surgeon said it couldn't be the reason.  I've dealt with...3 other surgeons since.  One was...um...crazy.  The one helped initially (blood patch) then said no more, but he'll hook my baclofen pump back up (um, no). This last one is finally doing more diagnostics (to confirm the leak location and make sure there aren't more) before considering surgery.

Point being, keep going, keep looking.  If he throws up his hands, go to someone else for their help.

And the hearing thing (hyperacusia!) is the WORST.  I can't believe it.  Drives me nuts. I love my kids, but dang they're noisy!

Best wishes on your route to healing!

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016

• I agree with everything stated above. If you are not happy you can still seek a second or even third opinion. Just because your surgeon performed the initial surgery you don't necessarily need to stay with him if you feel he's not taking your concerns seriously. See what he or she has to say first. Then decide.

• So my surgeon doesn't think it's a csf leak. He said to see my PCP or a neurologist for the headaches etc. I think he is wrong. So like you said I guess I will seek out a 2nd opinion. As for the pain, the segments above and below the fusion are taking a beating. Bone is fusing well. L3L4 is slipping because of scoliosis and we are keeping a close eye on it. Oh, released back to work in 2wks feeling this horrible.  Ugh

• advertisement
advertisement