Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

I Had Surgery And Now Have Pain

I had a discectomy L4/L5 with decompression on Wednesday. Everything went good and the neuro said the surgery had gone very well. I was released Thursday around noon and have been home just sitting and taking it easy with some occasional very short walks. Day 2 the pain down the left leg started back up (prob after the anesthesia wore off), and it has gotten progressively worse. I feel like I am right back where I was with the sciatic-type pain. I am on Loritab for pain and steroids for inflammation and about done with the steroids. When the pain meds wear off I am bad enough where I cannot walk. BTW, I was in severe pain for probably two months and probably needed surgery that early before I succumbed to it, so the herniated disc had that much time to work against me.

I am waiting for the dr. office to open to call in. Just hoping someone on here has had a similar experience and can tell me what to expect from this point on. 

advertisement

Comments

• I think you're doing the best thing you can do.  You'll probably have to get a new MRI to see what's changed.
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • We are 14 weeks out after similar surgery. Hubby also had a facetectomy and lamiotomy. He says the pain is the same. They keep saying it can take months, he was compressed for 18 months before they finally did something. 

• advertisement
  • I just got off the phone with the dr and he is prescribing vallium to relax the muscles and an MRI on Thursday when I go for my follow up. He said it was not unusual to have the pain in the hip and calf muscle, where 90% of the pain is at. 

• After my discectomy I was instructed not to sit, just perch for meals and toilet trips.  Were you given any instructions about this?

In fact, I couldn't have sat and certainly didn't expect to be out of pain immediately.  It is major surgery, even though done quickly and the disc can take up to 3 months to heal I was told by my surgeon.

I was told to lay down and get up hourly to walk around, because inactivity can stiffen everything up more and cause more pain.

I hope your team can deal with this for you and reduce your pain with medication during investigations.

AJ

AJGormit

---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • ToddsBackAgainToddsBackAgain Massachusetts Posts: 8

Hi Tim, i had my first L5/S1 discectomy 6 years ago. I too had pain for close to a month post op.  It takes time for the nerves to settle down after the procedure.  The MRI will certainly show anything that may have changed. Best of luck. 

• advertisement
advertisement