Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Sports & activities after ACDF surgery???

Comments

• 18 months post accident and surgery. Just been to see surgeon for an update. I am now healed, I am restriction-free, I can do what I like (carefully). I have no more risk of breaking my neck than anyone else who hasn't. I intend to snowboard again, ride my enduro bike again and continue to do triathlons as I've now got the bug. I wouldn't have considered doing anything like that pre-accident, but had to prove to myself that breaking my neck didn't mean sitting in a chair and being overly careful for the rest of my days and now I kind of like the challenge. Onward and upward. Good luck all.

• I am here following my second fusion (see above for longer tale). 

I am impatiently waiting for fusion. It’s making me nuts. 

Surgery was great. Now just growing bone. 

3 month visit coming up.... I was scolded for being optimistic.... expecting no winter fun and no fusion till spring.

Cooking for holidays was a bit challenging. Bending over the couter was unpleasant. So the last thing i want to do is mess this up!!

Maybe snow shoes on a golf course...??

• advertisement
  • So, update! I am just 3 months out and I have been cleared for activities!! While the new fusion is not "fused" technically, it is totally locked in and there is no motion at the level! I almost fell over when he said that! Next follow up is at 1 year!!

I am so very grateful. Hope is good :-)

• I am new to the forum. I have browsed many of the topics and appreciate the great info here.

My situation is that I have  moderate to severe cervical spinal
    canal stenosis and the plan is C56 and C67 ACDF with partial corpectomies. I am currently in a cervical collar and will have surgery in about a month. The delay is because I am a diabetic and the Dr. wants as good blood sugar control as possible.

So my question is, what the heck am I supposed to do with myself for the next few months. I am looking for hobby/activity ideas.I am used to being VERY active, so boredom is a big problem for me.I can walk, but I have some coordination problems.

I am sure this topic has been discussed . . .

Thanks

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526

Testing out comments

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • KirkD2-

At least you have a sense of what you can do in a collar now. 

I was bored senseless. I just walked and walked and walked....

Maybe coordination will improve if it’s from the neck?

Best of luck. 

• around 22 months now........another triathlon complete, I hate running lol. Have been on my enduro bike in the forest, what a feeling. Snowboarding booked for next year. Planning on some big lake swimming too. I see breaking my neck as a reason to do more stuff, not less. Still hurts a bit, but life is pretty good.

advertisement