Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Gaining weight after surgery

Comments

• Depending on the type of surgery you have along with the medications you take, fluid retention is not uncommon.  When they operate, usually you get swelling in that area.  Swelling is fluid retention (for a good reason in this case).  As your swelling goes down, your weight probably will as well.  As Ron said, certain nerve meds and steroids will cause some weight gain for most people.

I wouldn't stress out about it.  Once you start getting to rehab, you'll drop the weight pretty fast.  I weighed 194 the day of surgery and when I went back to work without restrictions I was down to 170.

Keith 

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Update: I'm about 6 weeks out of surgery now and I'm doing pretty great. I still have slight nerve pain down my right leg but I only feel it if I stretch a certain way. I have been doing lots of walking, my appetite has certainly increased with that. I have gained a total of 10 pounds since surgery. I'm trying to go the opposite direction and continue to lose weight as I am overweight. Watching my eating habits has been very hard especially since I'm doing so great now everyone wants to see me (usually involves going out to eat). I missed all the summer fun from being layed up in bed so I feel like I need to try and cram it all in before it gets cold out. My biggest frustration though is not being able to work out like I used to. I know I'll get there some day but right now walking is just not cutting it. I have to be super strict on my diet now because I can't compensate going over on calories by doing a hard exercise. Ugh... The struggles of being overweight and loving food

• advertisement
  • This thread uplifts me for some reason knowing that I am not the only one having the same situation. Anyways, my suggestion would be that you need to be more active? Limit the amount of food also.