Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Some questions for my mother

Hello all, I am posting here on behalf of my mother and hoping to get a picture of what to expect in the future! My mother is 49 and has had 3 strokes, with one being severe. She luckily recovered but still has difficulties controlling her left side. We originally thought it was because of the stroke and no doubt some of it still is but she started having a lot of pain in her neck so she went to see her doctor and got an MRI done, etc. She was diagnosed with moderate to severe stenosis at C5-C6 and C6-C7 and foraminal stenosis from all levels between C3-C4 and C6-C7. The doctor told her she's not really a candidate for surgery because she's on blood thinners.

I tried doing some research on my own (since I live in another state and wasn't present to ask questions) and it seems like other options are physical therapy/chiropractic stuff and epidural spinal injections? Has anyone here had any experience with those things and did they work? She's having a very hard time processing all of this and I was hoping to talk to her about other people's experiences, both good and bad, so she can get a picture of what might be in the future. I know everyone here are not doctors! But we have no idea at all what to expect and I'd like to hear from people who have lived with even some of this.

advertisement

Comments

• Miss Nicolec, to begin with talk to her MDs first!  Not knowing the circumstances and deficits of her condition, That decision is better left for her Neurologist as well as all her MDs. You will not find many fans of Chiros on this site especially when it involves the Cervical area.Im sorry to hear of so many CVAs at her young age! Welcome to the best spinal site on the web! Please feel free to look around! I promise you, you will get many replys to your post!

DavidG

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

• Agree. Talk with the docs first. I have just about all and more, that u have and I would never go back to a chiropracter! Had a doctor, arrogant to the max, said 'let me show u what a real doctor does!' Realizing he wanted to crack my cervical spine, well, I tried to get away. He made me have the treatment and I was in such worse pain than before; in tears. Went right to the ER where I worked. To me, any manipulation of my cerv sp is never gonna happen ever again. Kinda scarry too. Again, discuss your concerns and options with the right doc and go from there. And btw, from me to you/your mom, there is no reason she should be suffering in pain. They are treating cp patients a whole different way these days. K

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,472

hello missnicholec!!
    welcome to spine health
    i apologize for the delayed response. this forum has a vast array of articles and videos on any thing relating to the spine. go the right of the page and look under faq's, then medical information. below is one such article.

i know how you feel though. my mom is 92 and lives in a nursing home 800 miles away, and i can't travel. i have her doctor's number and we have it worked out where anytime any changes are made to her meds or care, i'm notified.
    having had spinal stenosis for years through out my spine, i have had many injections and epidurals. i only got a few days relief from any of them.
    as stated above, talk to her doctor, find out what his plans are for her.
    please click on the welcome link below for more information regarding the forum.

welcome to spine health

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History