Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Numbness under chin after ACDF C3-C4

I am about three weeks out of my ACDF surgery on C3-C4 and discetomy. I have been wearing my brace and following my post op instructions carefully. When I take my brace off to shower, I notice that the area under my chin above the incision site is totally numb. Should I be worried or is this still a normal part of the healing process?  The incision is sealed with bonding glue and looks normal, no discharge or swelling.

Thank you for input.

Blue Skies

advertisement

Comments

• Had c5-c6 done on Feb. 7. Mine is same way. Surgeon said sometimes that happens. His advice was it may or may not come back. Not a real talkative guy. Good surgeon though. I think it's actually getting a little better but just by a tiny bit 

• Hey weinandymr1. Thanks for your response. I don't meet with my surgeon until October 19th. I hope some sensation returns between now and then. I thought the tingling in my shoulder blade was gone, but it started again today. Fingers crossed that this is all for good.

• advertisement
  • . When I left hospital after surgery, my shoulder still hurt, even a little worse than before and this was the whole reason o had the surgery! About a day later the pain went away.  I'm now about to sleep on that shoulder which is absolutely great since I sleep on my side. Good luck with the numbness. I really don't notice it much now. Still there but I just forget about it. Only time I remember it is when shaving

• Just heard from my surgeon’s nurse. Says numbness can last anywhere from 6 to 8 months post surgery.  Wow! I was shocked to read that. At least now I know that I can’t rush this recovery process. Hope you’re careful not to knick yourself while you’re shaving.

• Are you able to sleep laying flat in bed? I’m still sleeping in a recliner. It’s getting old quickly.

• advertisement
  • I slept in my bed 3 days after my surgery. Still had collar on so it was different. Couldn't sleep in the recliner hardly at all. Guess I was lucky compared to others. Quit taking all pain meds 2 days after surgery and haven't taken anything at all since February.  I have to sleep on my side or I constantly wake up. Hope my numbess and yours goes away! My surgery seems to have cleared up my issues. Has yours ?

• Hi , I am experiencing that same numbness under my chin. Sometimes I feel the whole right side of my face go numb also. My 6week post op appointment with my neurosurgeon is on Wednesday. I will definely ask about that. At least I know it's not uncommon to have that numb feeling.Happy healing to all.

• This happened to me after my 2 level ACDF. Most of the numbness went away but there is a small patch of skin that had remained numb under my chin.

Renee
    ACDF 9/17/15 C 5/6 C 6/7
    Spinal Stenosis, Myelopathy, Myelolamacia and Central Cord Syndrome
  • I had my AC/DC surgery April 20 and my pain was completely gone after a couple weeks and have been doing great until today I have so much pain in my left side of my neck worse then before and goes into my shoulder and horrible headaches have returned, I had jerked real bad last night when I went outside a bug flew at me omg I jerked real quick and not sure if I messed something up now ☹️

• Omg ACDF surgery golly hate spell check

advertisement