Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Advice on lower back pain

First, I have searched the forums for advice or similar stuff and did not have any luck so I thought I would get some opinions on my current situation.

I am 43 year old male that is very active,  fit and healthy.  I work as a software engineer and have been sitting for most of my career.  About 1 year ago I started having lower back pain,  sort of just came on one day and it has not given up since. Mostly focused on my right lower back,  L5-L4, and the pain radiates ( I think ) into my groin,  stretching and yoga really helps.  I have not stopped the things that I love to do,  mountain biking,  soccer and my first love,  skateboarding,  mostly bowls and pools.  Over the course of the last year I have been doing Chiropractic adjustments once a week and as I mentioned yoga stretches daily.  The pain comes and goes but is mostly there to some degree,  ranges from a dull intermittent pain to a stabbing 6 out of 10.   I decided to go see the doc again to try and get some more permanent relief or a strategy in place,  he prescribed PT and an MRI.

Last week I started PT,  I have had one appt and the PT identifies some issues,  gives me some stretches/exercises to do and this is where things go off the rails. I have been doing my exercises everyday as prescribed for 4 days,  and since I started them I now have numbness and tingling in both my arms and legs and a little in my face,  my back hurts so much more.  The last 3 nights I had been woken by the tingling and numbness and today it is still present after waking.  To reiterate,  I have never had any numbness and tingling at all,  I am so freaked out.  I am not doing the exercises anymore.

The MRI came back with a bunch of back stuff,  most of it just old age stuff and related to min>mild arthropathy,  the most concerning thing is a Moderate right foraminal stenosis with suspected abutment of the L5 nerve.

Anyhow, I am curious if anyone has had PT actually do harm and not good and I am concerned that I did damage with the exercises because of the additional pain and numbness.

Any stories or thoughts appreciated. Thanks in advance.

advertisement