Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Extending short-term disability (California) - being able to lift up to 100 lbs (and over) again

Hello! I'm 18 days out of a microdiscectomy (L5-S1) and recovering slowly but surely. I'm in the less then common position where I was unemployed when I started on SDI and was diagnosed with a herniated disc. This was after 1.5 years of sciatica pain and trying PT, chiro, injections, etc, etc...

My surgeon cleared me for 6 weeks of SDI and it's really what I'm trying to figure out. I've searched the forums and have haven't any luck on finding someone posting about a similar situation...

The crux of my situation is I worked in IT support/management for almost 2 decades. Some of the standard physical demands would be: prolonged sitting, standing, walking, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending, squatting, climbing, balancing, crawling and stooping. Lifting up to 50lbs on a regular basis several times a week and up to 100 lbs occasionally (sometimes even over 100 lbs). Many of the jobs out there also require travel/driving.

Since I am unemployed I view it as a pre-requisite to be able to fully perform my usual and customary duties before taken off of SDI. I cannot go into a prospective employer and disclose I have back problems and may not be able to do some aspects of the job!

So the million dollar question is: Does anyone have experience on how soon they would be able to fully do the above without restrictions? Any problems having the surgeon or dr sign off on short term disability? Any suggestions on how to make sure they don't push back? Can anyone share how long they were able to stay on SDI?

Thanks,

Mike

advertisement