Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

How long not to bend, lift or bend after fusion surgery

Had L4-L5 fusion 3 weeks ago.  Some progress but pain is still there in buttock, leg and foot.  Meds, ice packs and heat pads are my friends.  I just hope that pain will leave in the next few weeks.   

My question today is how long one has to obey the recommendations of  no BENDING, LIFT or TWIST?  And I don't intend to do the Twist anytime soon...... I am so carefu not to bend.    Thanks!

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,574

Daisypiouk
    That is one thing I try to stress with everyone. At least until your check up. Afterwards, you should never bend, always use your knees. Don't twist, spin on your heels. I've gotten so used to doing that, I still do. Lifting, be careful and ask for help.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Hi Daisypiouk,

I'm 11 weeks post fusion. (PLIF L5S1)  My doctor told me no BLT until I'm fused.  So at least 6 months.  Your movements do get  easier after time and I have occasionally forgotten myself and bent over.  You will instantly regret it if you do as your body reminds you that it still hurts  really quickly.  My surgeon told me that this won't cause damage if it happens occasionally as the rods screws and cages are really tough but not to do it too often. You get in the habit of squatting instead of bending and turning your whole body to look behind you. I find I can lift a little more than the 2 kg limit now but am careful not to do too much.  After all , the surgery cost me a fortune and was an experience I don't want to repeat so a few months patience to make sure it works properly is a small sacrifice to make.

Hope this helps.

Phil

• advertisement
  • I was told at my 6 week check up, still no BLT and more advice would be given in February, which will be 71/2 months post op.

As Sandra says, it is all about learning new ways to use your back.  This will preserve the discs, above and below the fusion, as these are put under more strain after a fusion.

AJ

AJGormit
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • I'm now almost 8 weeks post-op from my ACDF and just saw my surgeon and started Physical Therapy.  I'm told by both that it will likely be another 2 to 6 months before I'm allowed to do basically anything involving bending, twisting, or lifting over 10 pounds and that I should not even attempt anything until December (my surgery was 8/30) which would be 4 months post-op.  The PT does help but my therapist insists that I be very gentle when doing the simple at home exercises.  It's a much longer road to recovery than I expected but my body tells me they are right and I should just chill and accept it.  

• Meme re spinning on your heels - i didn't know about that and have been worrying that I am micro twisting without realizing it. Am going to try this

• advertisement
  • Thank you so much for all this SO IMPORTANT information about BLT.  Doctors and surgeons don't have time to warn you about all of this.  I am so grateful to have found this helpful Forum.  Who else but someone who has been through it to encourage you and help you out when you feel in the dark.  

I thought that twisting was really a big twist at mid-waist; but now I understand.  Again yesterday, I just made a misstep and jerk trying to fix a pillow;  and there again, that sharp cutting pain right along my spinal cord.  I've tried to explain this to my orthopedist before surgery.  A feeling that there is a razor blade between spinal cord and buttock that is just just cutting through flesh.  Experienced this pain every time I made a bad move for the last year or so.   Then I was using ice packs to freeze the pain.  Nerve pain or???????

• Question I’m on week two and I’m home alone what advice do you guys have. I’ve  gotten help with groceries thank God and I have cooked soups for the week but  I too have occasionally overdone things and felt I over twisted but usually in my sleep. when I twist to turn then to wake up realizing I can’t be doing that! Ouch!!! So far maybe 3xs what is your advise can I vacuum my house yet? What’s everyone doing to move forward or do I need to stay in bed?

advertisement