Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Had my first Cervical ESI today

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,512
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:22 AM in Spinal Injections
I was a little nervous going in for my cervical ESI this morning but everything seems to have gone well; thought I would share my experience for anyone in preparation..
The procedure was scheduled in the hospital's associated 'Surgical Center.' No food or drink was allowed after midnight the night before. Clear liquids were allowed up to 3 hours prior to appt. My meds had been reviewed by the PM doc and I was allowed to take them with water. I had a sheet to fill out and bring with me, listing any meds I'd taken and at what time.
I arrived for my appt at 10:30, confirmed my signatures on previous paperwork done at the doctor's office and showed ID. I was given a gown and hair net to put on and made comfortable on a gurney. They took my temperature, blood pressure, pulse, O2 levels, and confirmed some medical history. A small needle port was put in my hand and hooked up to a saline drip. Everything was explained to me by each person I came in contact with (3 nurses and the doctor). I was given a list of post-op instructions and we discussed anything I had question about.
Then I was wheeled into the procedure room and was assisted to roll myself from the gurney to the table. Laying on my stomach, I had a pillow for my stomach ("under the girls" as the nurse put it) and another one for my knees/shins.
The doctor came in and asked if I had any last minute questions. The IV sedative (Versed) was started and it was the last thing I remember about the procedure.
(Reviewing my discharge papers, I was given the Lidocaine and Medrol via epidural during the procedure, as well as the omnipaque for the needle guidance.)
The next memory I have is of being back on the gurney in a recovery area. They checked my consciousness by asking me some questions and I was given something to drink. After I changed back into my clothes, I was assisted to a waiting area and given another drink and some crackers. They brought my husband in and the nurse reviewed the post op instructions again. He was told to check the injection site for any leakage, redness or swelling. We waited there a little while until felt OK to walk, about 15 minutes.
Door-to-door the whole experience took about an hour. I came home, had some lunch and slept for 5 hours.. I was tired and relaxed, no pain.
It's 10 hours now since I had the ESI. The injection site doesn't hurt. Although I still have some vague tingling, my shoulder/arm/hand isn't in pain for now. The only possible side effect is a very mild headache in my temples.. really mild, not painful, just annoying. I say possible side effect because I think it may be caused by my not having my coffee today :) My legs are still a little wobbly; precautions included not standing up too quickly so I am just keeping things slow for now.
I'm expecting a follow up call from the PM center tomorrow to see how I am doing and to schedule a follow-up visit with the doctor.

Feel free to PM me with questions.. with other surgery I've had I always find the unexpected is scarier than the procedure.


  • :) I had my 1st lumbar ESI today. My experience went as follows. I also went to a surgical center, but my doctor didn't do the iv sedation, so I was not restricted of anything, so thankfully I got to drink my coffee on way down and have my cigarettes too. I was took to a room, where they took my vitals, and signed few forms. The doctor doing the procedure came in and explained it to me, along with the possible risks. He was very nice, and had great bedside or should I say chairside manner,cuz I never had to lay down on anything till I actually got to the procedure room. In that room I had to undo my jeans and pull them down some, and lay on the table on my side to give dr. better view. The nurse cleaned up my back, and the dr. injected some numbing medicine, gave it a minute or two to take effect and then inserted the needle. All this time I am awake and watching the x-ray screen. I did feel it when he touched the nerve with the needle,but it wasn't painful, just like an electrical current going down leg all the way to my toes. He did the injection, and it was all done. I got up fastened my jeans, and walked out with nurse, she got me an ice pack and got both my husband & I something to drink and I was ready to go home. From the time I arrived to time I left it was approx 2hrs. The injection increased the numbness,tingling and pain, but I knew from reading posts here that it would aggravate the nerves. I like you came home and slept for 5 hrs, and feeling okay for now. Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery and better health down the road.
  • I'm glad to hear you had a positive experience, too. I wanted to see the flouroscope.. they told me that they did show it to me, but I don't remember :? Thanks for the well wishes and may you have a speedy recovery ;)
  • advertisement
  • Today, seems to be better. I could actually move to get out of bed this morning! <:P Still have some numbness & tingling down right leg, and back is somewhat sore and stiff, but will give it time and see how it goes.<br />Glor
  • Glor - isn't getting yourself out of bed under-rated??
    How do you like this picture, me with my neck problems and one useful hand helping husband with back problems put his shoes and socks on in the morning. On the bright side it gives us something to bond on.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. :D Jill
Sign In or Register to comment.