Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

My teen kid’s scoliosis

hello my son is 16 yrs old and he has scoliosis,but he recently started swimming atleast 2 times a week(2 hour trainings).Is it possible that scoliosis can be caused by poor posture?he spends a lot of time on the computer since he was young (6+ hrs a day)

Besides scoliosis he only a little scapular winging.This is a picture from 2015 when he was 13(now hes 16 and i have to take him to another x ray to see results but it doesnt look any different to me now).Can this curve be fixed with swimming?And will it get worse throughout life?He is planning to work at a sitting job or a construction worker.Thanks for your answers in advance.I will add a picture later today because i cant add it through my phone,also nobody in our family circle or before has/or had scoliosis.

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,518

Hello teenscoliosis16 

There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

All new members should take the System Tutorial 

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,331

hiya

best thing i think is to work with your/his doctor and come up with a plan to try and rebalance muscles as much as possible.  it really depends on how big the curves are, and if he progresses in the future.  some don't.  some do.  and really one cannot tell until one gets there.....  there are a few folks on here that have had scoli since they were young, hopefully they'll drop by and lend some words.  for me i'm not sure if i had it before i grew up or not, but ended up having a huge curve at 44 that needed fixing when it all collapsed... best is to work with your doctor(s) and come up with a plan for physical activity that will help strengthen the core muscles and keep monitoring it regularly.....make sure it's not getting worse. 

Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• advertisement