Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Gabapentin

we now see Gabapentin is being used as street drug! Great another med to take away from persons with chronic pain.  But, actually I have question.  My pain management dr increased my Gabapentin from 900mg 3X daily, total mg 2700 to 1200mg 3X daily, total of 3600mg.  I have always maintained the position GABA does nothing for my pain.  I also take 30mg oxycodone, 45mg morphine, tizanadine 20mg all aforementioned are divided doses.  My doc refused to increase my oxycodone when requested after major spine surgery (2nd) for Cauda eqinina Syndrome.  All his PA’s claim the DEA and CDC policies are the reason.  My first argument is a pain clinic professional is there to STOP/help alleviate your pain not run scared from federal authorities.  My 2nd argument is how can you prescribe a med/drug to replace another med/drug to stay ahead of the fed’s drug de jour helicopter monoriting!   Does anyone see my point?   But mainly, isn’t my current dose of GABA within the “current” abuse level...( I know everyone is diff, blah blah blah).  I did point out to my doc that GABA was on the street also...duh!  So, since GABA doesn’t seem to work anyway , wouldn’t it be wiser to stop the med than continually increase dose in a verified abuse level.

Sorry if post is wordy and rambling, this is my first post.

Laurel

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,298

laurel1950
    Welcome to Spine-Health

And I will say it again, everyone is different. Those of us that are different do not need the blah blah. I have had the drug interaction test, have you? This test told my doctors that everything I was taking would not work because my metabolism is so high it just spits it out. The one thing for nerve pain was Neurontin. For me, once I found the dose comfortable for me, it worked.
    I see your point, this discussion has been discussed so many times, this is not a first. So you can go by his rules or change doctors.

Please click on the Welcome link below as well as the Tutorial to help you more with the forum. Also please read the forum rules.

Welcome to Spine Health

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • It’s not uncommon for bipolar patients to be prescribed 10,000mg (or higher) of Gabapentin daily. The DEA doesn’t care about Gabapentin as its status is unscheduled, unlike opioids. If Gabapentin doesn’t help you may wish to ask your doctor to wean you off it.

• advertisement
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.