Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Had Intensive Scoliosis Treatment- Caused more Problems?

Hey there. 

In October 2016 I had intensive scoliosis treatment for a week, where they do a noninvasive process of trying to slowly move my spine over 8 hour days. I would sit and lay on vibrating beds and chairs, get adjusted, and work on adjusting my neck. When I first started, I had a 30 degree curve up top, 18 bottom. After, I had a 18 degree curve on top, 10 on bottom. I was ecstatic with these results. I am 31 years old and have had scoliosis issues since I was a child, everything seemed like it was going to work out perfectly now. 

The first night after my last treatment, I woke up an hour into sleep and I was shaking uncontrollably. I do suffer from anxiety, so I tried to write it off as that, since I was moving from Florida to Msisouri the next day, and I had just gone through an intensive treatment, I figured it was my body adjusting. I spend about an hour shaking, my entire body, until I finally fell asleep. The next day, we stopped in Alabama for the night. Same thing. One hour into sleep, I woke up, shaking again. I was so scared I went to the ER in Birmingham because I could not calm down, my entire body was out of control and I knew something wasnt right. They kept me all night, released me at 5 am with no answers, and I started my drive again. I didnt sleep for 3 nights, because every time I tried to fall asleep I would tremble. I contacted my chiropractor and they said they had not heard of that before, and dismissed it. 

Fast forward a year later. I still have trouble sleeping sometimes. I went to a doctor a few months ago, and they did an Xray and found that I had a bulging disk in my lower spine. At the time, I was having issues walking, being able to exercise, Etc. Every time I would go to the gym, I would become light headed within 15 minutes and I could not do anything anymore. It got to the point where I could not even walk a certain distance without my legs feeling weak and I felt light headed. I used to be able to hike, and when I was in Colorado trying to hike I made it a quarter of a mile and I had to stop for fear of fainting. 

I have been light headed every day for over a year. For months I felt so weak in my legs that I could barely make it up stairs. My equillibrium is off, any time I stand on anything that is not completely level, I get dizzy. I am shaky a lot of the time. My head feels funny constantly. I am losing my mind because I just want to feel normal again. Has anyone EVER had these symptoms? Before I had the intensive treatment, I was told that getting it done would help with my anxiety, heart palpitations, and any other issues I was having. I feel like I was lied to. When I say light headed, I dont mean the room is spinning. I mean that I can focus on things, but I feel very faint, like I am going to pass out. 

Can anyone help me?

advertisement

Comments

• Where did you do this treatment? Sounds like a crock of you know what to me

• I think you need to see a nuro surgeon, let them do films, (xrays, mri,ct) and get some answers as to what is going on. I am so sorry you are going through this. but it sounds like you need to talk to a doctor.

• advertisement
  • WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,324

i'm with xrobynx,

i think you need a neuro doctor-just my opinion/thoughts.....my first thought is that something in your autonomic nervous system got angry with the adjustments.    imaging-including standing xrays.  many of us have curves that get smaller when we lay down flat....or if our arms or legs are forced to one side or the other.  i also have never heard of that treatment you had either....

when they did my standing xrays and then lay me on a table (before my surgery) and pulled my arms and legs to the side to see if they could straighten my curves any it didn't really hurt at the time, but the next 3 days i shook and had what i thought were panic attacks or anxiety attacks, sweating, weakness, dizziness, and it turns out that that can happen when nerves are stretched and damaged....when they pulled to reduce my curves they also pulled all the nerve roots that were impinged by my vertebrae. they had to do it to see if the repair was worth it (if it wasn't flexible they wouldn't have done surgery because i was already almost 70 degrees).  but the next 3 days were horrible.  and after surgery some of my nerve roots, and the line of my spine were moved over 4 inches....and that caused the same kind of feelings afterwards, only i was in the hospital and they could help me with the sweating and shaking.  doctor explained it as "pain that your body doesn't know how to feel" so it feels anxiety, sweating and basically tries everything it can do to get your attention that something is wrong.  he explained it to me as it's an autonomic nervous system response....and your neurosurgeon should be able to explain what that is.  One giveway for me was my blood pressure would drop out of the blue....and then i would get faint and dizzy and sweat like crazy. 

please, see your doctor, explain exactly what is going on, including that you had someone try manually to reduce your curves of your scoliosis...i'm not saying that this is what you have, but it sounds awfully familiar to me, and a lot like what i had going on-and its taken a year to subside-it's still not totally gone yet, if i move something the wrong way and pull on one of my bars in there now (10 level fusion T10 to S2) it affects my T9-10 level and i get that anxious/sweaty/dizzy thing again for a day or two.....anyways, worth being checked and getting to the bottom of it!

Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• Yes,   That sounds exactly like what I've been going through. It was really bad for the first couple of months, I remember I lived on the third floor of an apartment building and one night I went out with some friends and I couldn't even make it up the three flights of stairs. I felt super week and felt like I was going to pass out, I didn't leave the house for a couple of days. I finally went to the doctor and they told me it was probably some kind of virus but they didn't know what it was, so I laid around for two days and it seemed to subside. I do notice that After a while it will all go away and I will feel fine, but if I pick anything up that's heavy or move furniture or anything like that, then it comes back. So I definitely know that I had something to do with what they did to me. I had never heard of this kind of treatment either, I actually had gone to a place in Clearwater Florida called Risoldi chiropractic  because I was told there was a dietitian there and I had wanted to see one, when I went in there and I was filling out some paperwork one of the guys that works there said that he noticed my scoliosis. I told him I had had it my entire life but I didn't want to fix it because I didn't want to do surgery and that's when he told me about the intense treatment. What they do is they spend about three months adjusting your back, like regular adjustments, and loosening everything up and then you go in for a weeklong's treatment that is about eight hours.  They would put me on these different machines where I would sit and it would hold my neck a certain way and it would vibrate, and then they would do other adjustments were they were pulling my neck or putting me in harnesses and having me stay in a certain way for several minutes to try to stretch everything out so that it would move a little easier. The results were amazing, like I said I started within 30° curve of my upper Spine in 18° on my lower, and whenever I was finished I had 18° curve on my upper and 10 on my lower. As soon as I left the chiropractor that day I cried for like two hours because I was so happy, and I had gained an inch in height. I was made fun of a lot when I was a child so it just made me feel really happy that I was able to fix something like that. But I could finally have a normal life all I had to do was just stick to certain exercises for the rest of my life to maintain it. But then all of this happened,  as soon as I left the chiropractor that day I cried for like two hours because I was so happy, and I had gained an inch in height. I was made fun of a lot when I was a child so it just made me feel really happy that I was able to fix something like that. But I could finally have a normal life all I had to do was just stick to certain exercises for the rest of my life to maintain it. But then all of this happened, and In a way I feel like it has ruined the last year of my life.  I already had anxiety disorder but it has not been this bad before, this has definitely made it 10 times worse and I'm definitely lightheaded all the time. When I tell the doctors that I'm lightheaded bethink I mean dizzy which means everything is spinning around in the room and it's not, I just feel like I'm having an out of body experience or something, like I'm not all there. I will definitely look into seeing A neuro doctor though. When I was really lightheaded and could barely even move I went to the ER and that's when they did the CT scan of my back and my head and that's when they told me that I had spinal stenosis and a bulging disc in my lower back. 

Thank you guys for talking to me about this. Anytime I mention this to other people they act like I'm being a hypochondriac. 

• Sorry that post went all weird and posted stuff twice, my phone is goofy. 

• advertisement
advertisement