Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

December 2018 Surgery Buddies

Comments

• ArizonaAArizona ArizonaPosts: 202

I think they are going to put some "hardware" in me after all, probably because the latest mri shows the stenoosis in my back is getting worse.

Sandy, I've had a lot of athletic injuries in my life, but up until almost 5 years ago now, despite my advanced age, i thought i was superman and could defy age by continually getting stronger and in better shape - it worked for a long time - and then something unknown abruptly happened one day sending me to the hospital for 3 weeks. The hospital doctor, after a million tests, came to me and said that i am "a mystery"  to them. Something happened and then while in the hospital the nerves down my right leg and foot began giving me trouble - a lot of trouble - a lot of trouble and a lot of pain.  Yes, i thought i could defy age but i was mistaken. I think I'm not the first person to make that mistake.

One little bright spot - the new doctor gave me an injection in my si joint and, out of so many injections - 11 epidurals, 2 nerve blocks, and so many many other injections and other things in the last almost 5 years, this was the first that helped me!  I had injured my sacral joint 40 years ago and doctors have always ignored it because nothing shows up on the scans or xrays. I don't know how long it will last but its a small relief. Unfortunately it didn't help my main problem, the stenosis- polyneuropathy-innervation in my leg and foot. Hopefully the surgery will help that...and then i can belatedly do that 100 mile run i was planning 5 years ago! Yeah right...

• @Ashantix I had ACDF surgery on September 18, 2018. I had some swallowing issues afterwards, but drinking lots of water and sipping warm (not hot) broth and tea really helped me.

My neck feels great, and I'm very grateful to have had the surgery..

I am now a broth addict, but my hubby gladly enables me.

Best of luck on your surgery! I know you'll do great.

• advertisement
  • I'm hoping to get lumbar surgery in December. Not sure yet of the type of surgery or date yet. I have an appointment with my neurosurgeon on December 13th, but we're hoping to get in sooner as I can barely walk more than a few steps without severe pain and weakness.

IlI' post here as soon as I know something. 

Thank you Sandra for being so wonderfully supportive. Hoping all Surgery Buddies are doing well.

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,355

Maelinde
    I'm so sorry you are in so much pain. But I do understand, just don't let ir get you down. Good luck on the 13th and please let us know what your surgeon says.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History

Arizona
    I have had countless injections of all kinds, one being Mon., Botox in my back muscle. So far no relief. I only had relief from one steroid injection in my facet joints, all others gave no relief. I am so glad you found some relief with the latest injection, hope it last a while.
    Just stay with your positive attitude!! Who knows, you might run the race!!

Sandra
  • advertisement

Sandra - Similar to me then. The only injection that helped was the one in my si joint. How long can i hope it to last?

Very belated awakening - my back troubles were i think greatly agravated by spending many hours hunched over a computer on a desk that was too low.  I just raised it to be too high (!) and that causes me to stretch my back instead of hunching over, and now when i stand up my back actually feels better instead of hurting a lot!  Why do i always fugure things out years too late?

Maelinde - What an unusual and nice name. How is it pronounced? Do you know what the diagnosis of your back is?  Thank you for your kind words.

Did i mention that i had a previous surgery on my back for the stenosis problem by a different doctor? It was a "minimally invasive" (one inch scar - the next one will be 4") in Feb 2016, facetectomy with decompression. That doctor said it would cure my pain but not help the tingling numbness that was increasing at the time. It did the reverse. It greatly helped the tingling numbness but did nothing for the pain.  A few days after that one i was already doing a lot of walking. I hope i can recover as quickly from this one.

I was just reading the spinal stenosis forum here...and now i am wondering if i might back out. It could always be worse. Much worse. There are a lot of back surgery horror stories.

The doctor didn't come to see me the other day, just his assistant who showed me how the doctor planned to do decompression with the fusion and put in two metal devices to hold my back together. But wait, said i, the doctor had plainly told me when he spoke tp me that he would NOT use any hardware (unlike the plans of my original doctor). The assistant didn't know anything. He didn't even know that i had already agreed to surgery and a date was set.  He just said "I guess he changed his mind". Im supposed to meet them again on Dec 3rd, 9 days before the surfery,  but now i don't know...

The only thing that belps my nerve pain is lorazepam and it helps me sleep too. The opiods - tramadol, nucynta, percocet -don't work. Gabapentin-lyrica-and cymbalta don't work either. Rubbing a combo of dmso with prescription 5% lidocaine ointment helps a little. That's about all that helps.

I think there are too many redundant ovelapping forums here.

I don't seem to be able to edit my posts at all anymore.

Sorry for the negativity right now,  Sandra ane Mae!inde. I hope you both are pain free and sleep well tonight. My pain has diminished a lot, almost disappeared, since taking a lorazepam pill almost 3 hours ago

Arizona
    The injection that did work for me lasted about 6 weeks. I also have had a caudal block, which lasted about 3 mos. I need to get another one but I have trouble with anesthesia. They go in the hole at the bottom of your spine and injection the medicine. It has a shot gun effect, spreads out and touching everything. He watches where it flows on a screen to make sure he is putting enough. It is so worth it to me.

Your desk may have had an affect on your back but it will not cause stenosis. I know there are a lot of horror stories and I wish people would come back and tell the good stories. But they don't. You just have to have faith in your surgeon. I would have a lot of questions for him on the 3rd.

The only time I am out of pain is when I'm asleep. And then I have to take Trazodone or I don't sleep. Have you ever read my medical history? It's too much to start telling someone what shape my spine is in. 
    Have a good day!! Get your positivity back, you will feel better. But it's ok to vent, we understand.

Sandra
  • Thank you, Sandra. We had a nice and quiet Thanksgiving yesterday. Just my hubby and me. And our 4 kitties trying to get our food. It was nice, though. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving, too. Hoping to get the surgery done before Christmas so that we can host our dear friends again.

Hi, Arizona! It's pronounced May linde. My actual name is Debbie, but we used to do live action role playing games in the 90's, and Maelinde was the name I loved to use. I also use it for my Renaissance festival persona when I can get out there and costume for it. Missed the last 2 years though. Hoping to get out there next year.

Hope everyone is doing well today and better each day. I hope to be one who has great success stories to share here.

Maelinde
    Our Thanksgiving was quiet too, me and hubby, 3 cats and a 9 mo. puppy. They loved their dinner!! Then we skyped with the kids and grand kids and great grand kids, had a blast with them.
    You brought back memories that I have not thought about in a while. When we lived in Memphis, I would always go to the Renaissance festival every year. I still remember my costume. So thank you for the memories!!
    We need success stories here, hope Dec. will be the month for success for everyone!!

Sandra
advertisement