Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Lumbar RFA, and NO discomfort after procedure?

Hello, I am new here and just had RFA for L4/L5/S1 two days ago. 

I was not awake for the procedure. Got home, did the ice and meds as instructed. My back felt like I had been kicked by a horse, but really not terrible. It is still tender, but I have not had any other discomfort, or the feeling of burning. If I feel anything, it is a tad itchy, which could be from the adhesive on the bandage over the sites. Ok, so not exactly NO discomfort, but much,less than I expected. 

My question: has anyone NOT had the 'sunburn feeling' or terrible pain after RFA? I have done a search, read articles, looked on the web, to no avail. I can't find anything on NOT having post-RFA pain. Or will it start at some point? I expect by now that the lidocaine or whatever was used for local numbing meds would have worn off by now, some 2.5 days after the procedure. 

I certainly know each person is different, but has anyone had a similar experience? I will be calling my doctor on Monday to update and ask questions. I am scheduled for my right side in two weeks. 

Thanks for any info you can share. 

And yes, I have read the Intro and FAQs pages. :-)

Thanks, 

Keysfins

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,393

Hi Keysfins!!
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Thank you so much for reading the FAQ's and Rules!!
    Under the circumstances, you could consider your lucky not to have all of the side effects that some people do have. I have ever had this procedure but I am sure other member's will reply.

Please let us know what your doctor tells you today. And good luck in 2 weeks for the second round.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Thank you, Sandra. 

If I understand, the sunburn feeling is more likely for cervical RFAs. My doctor is great with all the injection procedures, so maybe his skill plays a role in the lack of pain. The real test will be going back to work later this week. I am still hoping that other members here will post their experiences. 

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,393

I hope you get responses too. But if this does make you feel better, please don't do like a lot of us do, which is to overdo. Give it time and let it work.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Thank you, Sandra.

I intend to do all I can to get the best result from the procedures. 

I have a wonderful group at work, so if I need to leave at any time, they understand. My work is quite physical, but also something I love. Before this procedure, I was hit or miss being able to work, and the two weeks or so before this first RFA, I could not work at all, even part time, due to back pain. Any time I WILL be able to work is a bonus person for my group. 

Will be reading more about this procedure as I investigate the forums. 

• I’m having my RFA next week in 5 spots and reading posts like this give me hope that I won’t be in pain after the procedure!! I was warned by my doctor about being in worse pain for 2-3 weeks after so obviously I’m not banking on the no pain haha. But I did want to share that my boss had it done several years ago and I was asking her about how she felt after the procedure and she was like you, instant pain relief! So here’s hoping for the same result!

• advertisement
advertisement