Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Nerve impingement in arm and hand as a result of 5.5 hour surgery.

Following the 5.5 hour surgery I had 6 weeks ago, (TLIF & full lumbar fusion) I started to experience radiating nerve pain down my arm and into my hand. I never had this before, and believe it's the unfortunate aftermath of the surgery~not moving and/or positioning.

I've seen a PT twice, and she thought the source was my first rib which is elevated. I'm doing some exercises per her suggestion, and it is very slowly getting better. It was so bad for awhile, it would keep me awake at night.

I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar experience? 

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,587

I have had my first rib pop up (elevated) a number of times.  While it is like that, I generally have cervical pain, upper shoulder pain and arm pain.   When the rib goes back to normal within a day or so, I feel so much better

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Hi steffie

I experience bands of numbness in my lower arms and numbness in my thumb after my 10 hour surgery.  In fact I woke shouting in pain from the pain in my arms, rather than my back.

The banding in my arms has improved slowly, but I have kept the numbness in my thumb.

I did have other issues with my arms before surgery, but these were new symptoms for me personally.

I hope your symptoms improve soon.

AJ

AJGormit

---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • advertisement
  • Thanks for sharing your experiences,,,I just got the green light to begin PT, and it's frustrating that I'm having to spend time on my arm instead of my back!  Nerve impingement continues, even though I am faithfully doing several exercises for it.

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,484

Hi steffie

Please don't give up. You said it was slowly getting better and it will. Sometimes it takes a while for the nerves to wake up.
    Good luck and keep posting your recovery.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
advertisement