Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

L4 L5 S1 Double Fusion ( - Reviews or success stories please!

Hi All 

My other half has two degenerative discs and has been advised by his consultant that he is not suitable for ADR (disc replacement) and instead would need a double fusion of L4/L5 and S1. They would need to go in via his back one day and the next day via his stomach. I have been reading up on the effects of the Fusion surgery which even in this day and age seem to have

terrifying effects. I am not sure what other options would be given that he takes Tramadol/Diazepam/Naproxen daily, he has tried Chiro,
Physio, Stretching, Swimming, several injections - everything is just temporary. We have our first child on the way in May and we cannot go on like this, he has no quality of life and spends the weekends lying flat on his back so that it is rested for work and is able to try and
get through the following week at work. 

seems excellent and all reviews seem brilliant. We have absolute faith in him as a surgeon, I am just worried about what happens long term: 

- What will be the knock on effects of the discs above/below 

- Will it actually fix him? 

- Will it actually make him worse, damage nerves

- He is only 36, is it better to wait a while and see how it pans out o

Many thanks

Edited by Sandra for name of hospital.
advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,348

hi dlew86
    welcome to spine-health

read what members have to say here that have that exact surgery, at all ages. go to the right of the page to surgery buddies, go to the left and click on january or december. there you will find members that had surgery and are recovering. the support is overwhelming that the members give each other. a lot of your questions could be answered there.
    when you know his surgery date, if you would like, join the surgery buddies for that month. there you will also get some great advice and support.

while you are waiting on other members to reply, please click on the welcome link below and tutorial to help you get started n the forum.
    welcome to spine health

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • bugslybbugsly MinnesotaPosts: 36

Hello there!  I had L3 to S1 fused and I'm a success story.  Recovery was long but sure am glad I did it.  My recommendation is do as the doctor advises. Bugsly

• advertisement
  • WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,484
    edited 02/21/2018 - 12:05 PM

hm....loss of quality of life, spending time "saving up" for energy for work.....that sounds so familiar.  i spent the better part of 8 years like that before i HAD to do something about my back pain or end up in a wheelchair....

i had 10 levels fused.  T10 to S2 with pelvic fixation as well.  I got my life back.  and i'm not in a wheelchair.

it's a tough decision......i couldn't bear the pain anymore, so my decision was hard, but fairly straightforward.  either do or be in a wheelchair.  so.  i did.  i was scared and worried about the what if's....now at 14 months postop i have my life back.  i'm still healing, it takes a long long time to heal, but it was 100% worth it for me.   my surgeon told me i have to watch T9-10 so i don't injure the adjacent segment (i'm fused to pelvis, so nothing below that...S1 and S2 are already pretty stable naturally, so fusing to S1 he won't have to worry about S2...), it is a worry, but i'm just careful and try not to be too stupid in things i do.  yes, it changes the mechanics of the spine, but nothing that one cannot adjust to. there's always the risk of getting worse....but there's also the chance to get better. and if doctor's orders and restrictions are followed, and one is careful and patient and allow yourself to recover to the best of your ability....i am a success story.....everyone is different and everyone's surgery is different, so best to make sure you know exactly what the doctors will do, and what they will order for after surgery for recovery times and restrictions.  and then follow their orders, and be patient....

Kathy
    Veritas-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair.