Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Low back pain for 3 years, Drs wont take me serious because of age!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:22 AM in Lower Back Pain
So, 3 years ago I was in a car accident, and have had severe back pain ever since. There are days when I cant even walk. My legs have given out on me, I have been to the ER so many times, they know me by my first name. ~X( The only thing I have been told as far as diagnosis goes is I have facet joint osteoarthropathy...Ive had nerve ablations, injections, many many different meds and tests. MRI,spinal tap, etc. The only thing they saw was degeneration on the facets and my spinal fluid showed some abnormalities but they cannot pinpoint it. Right now, im taking 20mg x2 a day of oxycodone, PT, naproxen, etc. Any advice? All doctors keep telling me Im too young to have degenerative disease problems, and they refuse to diagnose me with anything because of my age :jawdrop: Any advice would be wonderfully appreciated! Thanks for listening
advertisement

Comments

• Is it more nerve pain or muscle pain you have?
  • :) hi ! well you don't tell us how old you are! i ruptured 2 discs at 15 and the doctors did not believe someone my age could have that happen. i was 24 before i received the proper medical care and was in a wheel chair. keep pressing your pain issues with other doctors. your pain is real and tests don't always show up pain. you will find someone to help you i know! good luck and see you around the forum! Jenny :)
  • advertisement
  • mominpain- Just because they can't pinpoint it yet does not mean there is a specific problem. They just have not located it yet. I had a few MRIs till they saw the problem and a discogram (though painful) gave alot of diagnostic information. Ask for more tests and press about the spinal fluid issue... :))) jade
  • and no one will listen to me. :W By the way, I just turned 27. I know im not the only one who's Dr probably doesnt listen to them, but it gets so frustrating sometimes. Its pretty bad when the ER department treats you like a head case. ~X( I have tried pushing the spinal fluid issue, but since I dont show the signs for MS, they arent willing to look any further. They said that basically, the only thing it could be is MS with abnormal spinal fluid....
  • I was diagnosed with having DDD at the age of 28 and had my first fusion (L5-S1) done later that year. Am due for my 2nd fusion (L4-L5) in a mere 5 days (age 32 now). IMHO, there is no such thing as "too young" when you are dealing with alot of pain that you shouldn't be and need help fixing it. Be a royal PITA and keep pushing for the help that you need. Good Luck!!
  • advertisement
  • facet arthropathy and it is very, very painful.
  • Yea, age has nothing to do with it. Im 29 and have a degenerated L5-S1 disc. Guess I am lucky that I found the right neurosurgeon who listens. I see My NS on the 21st to try and setup a PLIF and get it approved by workers comp.
  • I am 27 also. I know EXACTLY what you mean. My doctor kept telling me it was muscle spasms. I finally had to demand an MRI.

The only thing I could recommend is to keep fighting!! Keep searching for a doctor that will listen, and who doesn't only look at you for your age.

• I'm 19 and have DDD in my L5-S1
    I know exactly what you mean! The dr's don't want to do anything because of my age...and I think it's ridiculous...just keep your head up high and keep trying to convince them that you are in your body and they aren't and there is no way they can really know exactly the pain that you are going through...if you ever need to talk about anything just messege me!
  • My back has always bothered among other problems and recently my back has really started giving me a lot of trouble and I am in constant pain. some days I just want to scream or cry or both and I finally seen my new dr today and he just did not even listen to me and now says that I am too young to be on my current meds I have taken for 13 years!!!! When sometimes it does not even help for the current pain that is unbearable OMG I am so fed up with how they treat people in legitimate pain but he sure did not mind taking the insurance money for my office visit. I really think until they go through something that traumatizes their life they can never understand I am at my wits end. I do not know what to do. Still in pain and no help in sight.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.