Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Lumbar Microdisectomy

I just had a lumbar microdisectomy on January 23rd, a little over three weeks ago.I have done everything the doctor has instructed.  It seems that at certain times the pain ( yes, less than before) comes back down my right leg.  It's very infrequent but scary.  I don't want to go through the pain that I had before.  When I went for my post-op check-up last week, the doctor said it is normal to experience some pain even up to roughly 12 months.  Anyone have any thoughts or advise?

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,065

KGeorge

Yes, it is very common. Did he explain it as the nerves waking up? Hopefully it won't take that long but it could. It all depends on how bad and how long the nerves were impinged.
    Are you walking around? 
    Good luck and keep us posted.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Hang in there KGeorge

recovery is scary at times, when those nightmare pains appear suddenly.

As Sandra says, the nerves wake up ... and sometimes object strongly while healing.

If you have continuous and increased pain, definitely get advice on that, but it sounds like you are progressing well.

Well done on following your doctors instructions, that is part of the secret :-)

AJ

AJGormit

---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • advertisement
  • yes you will have pain at least a year out. make sure to do PT/OT and strengthen your core.I had lumbar discectomy in 2012. i didn't strengthen my core and herniated two years later. take care of yourself 

degenerative disk disease

Facet Disease

Spinal Stenosis

Lupus

Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Laminectomy (micro) L5,S1 (2012)

Disectomy L5,S1 (2014)

Numerous Epidural Injections 

Radiofrequency Ablation 2016

Facet Joint INjections 2015-2017

• KGeorgeKKGeorge New YorkPosts: 42

Thank you everyone - 2 more weeks have passed since my last post. I just returned to work on Monday.  I'm not sure if this was the best thing to do as a teacher of Kindergarten.  Luckily, I have a lot of support with my entire colleagues.  I'm really tired and experiencing some more pain near the incision area.  The pain down the leg is less than before surgery.  There are times when the pain comes back and I am a little startled.  I am finding I can't sit to long or stand to long.  

advertisement