Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot

In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

L4-L5 & L5-S1 Disc Herniations - 26 years old - Need advice!

I need some advice.  I’m a 26 year old female with lower back problems. Specifically, “L4-L5 and L5-S1 disc herniations, with the latter resulting in severe central spinal canal stenosis, with a residual AP canal diameter of 4 mm.”

I am still able to jog and work out, and don’t have much pain, maybe 2 on a 10 scale.  Anything worse comes and goes.

Even though I’ve been exercising (and this seems to help), the first spine doctor I’ve visited told me I shouldn’t run anymore.  I’m also hopefully going skiing in a few weeks.  Could I do more damage by running and keeping up my active lifestyle? Is it possible if I continue to do these activities that I could rupture the disks?

My strategy is to keep my normal lifestyle, then get epidurals as things flare up.  But only get epidurals when I need them for pain.  If things get worse, then I would opt for surgery to hopefully fix things once and for all.    Is this reasonable?

I have SO many questions about whether things may get better on their own, whether I should expect things to get worse, whether I should get proactive surgery now (I’m only 26!!), whether to see a physiatrist….  ANY assistance with any of this would be greatly appreciated!!

<(edit)?   </p>
advertisement

Comments

• martymarmmartymar Posts: 98
    edited 02/23/2018 - 10:51 AM

I think you have a really good plan there except opting for surgery and fixing things once and for all. This is just my personal opinion but when you go down that surgical path a lot of these fixes are just temporary and it turns into a progressive thing over the remainder of your life.  It sounds like you have problems with the usual culprits so take care of your back the best you can it sounds like you have a solid plan for the immediate future.