Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

How to Bend and save your Discs

I just read a great article on NPR this morning on bending correctly.  May cultures bend this way, and they are spared the of back pain and conditions that we have. I wish that we had been taught to bend this way.

advertisement

Comments

• L4_L5LL4_L5 Posts: 995
    edited 02/26/2018 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I found it by googling “NPR Bending.”

Unfortunately I think the demonstration is only good for picking up light objects. 

• L4_L5:

I still think re-learning a safer way to bend over will be helpful in the long run. I KNOW I have the habit of bending over incorrectly, and I'm sure that hasn't helped all my various back problems. 

I'm trying to take this recovery time (following major surgery) to re-train myself :)

• advertisement
  • It’s soooooo worth it!

• Was doing some reading back on old posts...it seems to me the subject of proper posture is so important in retraining your body to do the right thing muscularily (is that a word) and to do it subconsciously, post fusion/surgery, but it doesn’t get enough emphasis as it should , at least during my post op experience...

Especially in the hospital pre discharge, but also during during in in Home post op rehab, then finally at physical therapy.  (at least the second PT I’ve visited has been better in this area).  I was fortunate to have met an athlete on a recent business commute (right before my surgery) who had recently undergone cervical fusion and who also stressed the importance of posture and being positive as two of the most important ways to approach post op PT.    re-visiting of a healthy lifestyle and being conscious of the power of the mind over the body and how important it is to understand in the context of taking care of your spine (a challenge to many) throughout ones life.  It’s why we’re here, we need help right?

Posture and positivity  ;)

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,661

So many of todays spinal issues can be brought down to our postures and the way we lift objects.   I would bet if you had 20 people in a room and had them pick up various objects from light ones to medium heavy, there would be so many different ways they would do that.   And probably a good number of them would be doing it wrong.

I know, I still after all these years of spinal problems, am thick and stubborn and lift things the wrong way.   I have to re-think each time, or easier, my wife will yell over to me, "You are doing it wrong"

It just always seemed easier and quicker to bend down and pick up the object.   Bending at the knees, keeping your back straight, arms close together just seemed like too much to do.   Then again, at what cost is doing it the incorrect way!

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • Yes, the cost of moving incorrectly.....worth it to try and retrain ourselves!

NPR posted a related piece in the last week or so:   "To Fix That Pain in Your Back You Might Have to Change the Way You Sit:

Some cultures sit a lot, but are not plagued with back and muscular pain the way we are.  It showed a man who spent hours a day weaving with gorgeous posture.

Worthwhile read.

• This discussion interested me.  After reading it, I goggled NPR bending and it was an interesting article.  However, like everything else we do what's good for some is not good for others.

I cannot flex/bend my knees-doing so results in my legs giving out and me falling to the floor.  Once on the floor/ground I am there till the paramedics come and pick me up.  This is why I'm attempting, once again, to train a service dog.  The dog can pick up the stuff I drop.  Then no more bending for me!

As for lifting heavy stuff, lol, husband's job.  I am restricted to lifting no more than 10 pounds-equal to a gallon of milk.

• Using your knees to bend and keeping your back straight like a catcher in most situations does seem a very catcherlike position.   Unfortunately my knees decided to stop bending at my last PT...it’s like everything else for the last 7 months, always something...one step forward...

• PT today was P.t.pooP so I ask pain dr for cortisone shot. Back up, two weeks ago when I posted this I called pain dr office left two messages for dr, talked to PA explained what I needed - blew her mind she just was so confused. I asked ‘what is the process for getting a cortisone shot in your office’. My last cortisone shot was given by meniscus repair x2 Orthopaedic surgeon, and I realize more than a handful over time is not wise, but I have another bump in my recovery and I need help getting over this. The PA just exploded and asked that I talk to PM dr today- who said get an X-ray to confirm you have osteoarthritis in your knees, then we’ll schedule injections. Osteo whaaaa?  Oh no not me....

Signed old in SoCal 

advertisement