Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

surgery? or not...

I've been dealing with this pain and inability to stand up long for over 2 years.  I had spinal fusion. yesterday I had a follow up with the spine Dr.  He said on my xrays it appears that I might have a problem with my SI Joint.  Surgery is what he recommended after having an injection to see if this is the problem.

ugh! another surgery????   he said it's a painful recovery.  But...I might not have a choice. My lifestyle has been totally impacted by this. Can't do laundry..bending over to do that causes pain. Can't stand in my kitchen for long, I have to keep sitting down.    sigh

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,933

barbie2016
    What type of surgery is he talking about doing?
    I understand what you are going through as I have the same problems. It get really frustrating, do a little, sit, do a little, sit.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • barbie2016bbarbie2016 washington statePosts: 18

SI Joint fusion.  crutches for 3 weeks. ugh.  I am trying a TENS unit right now, we'll see how that works. I have an appointment to see if spinal cord stimulation would be a good idea. I can't stand it any more.  crying a lot.  i'm so done with this pain....I don't know if when I take off the tens I will feel any better, or if it just works while it's on :)

• advertisement
  • My tens unit is my lifeline right now! Mine only relieves the pain while the machine is actually on. I’ve had mine for a year now and I use it throughout my work day when the pain flares up. Some days it’s on constantly, other days it’s sporadic. It doesn’t take the pain away, it just more like tricks my brain into focusing on the stim rather than the pain. Only way I’ve been able to work for the last year! Good luck with your surgery!!

• robmjrrobmj Posts: 43
    edited 04/27/2018 - 1:19 AM

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news - but if I could go back in time
    and undo my iFuse (SI joint fusion) surgery I would with all my heart. After 23 years of SI pain that wasn't responding to anything anymore, I decided to go for it and have my left SI joint fused using less invasive iFuse surgery. Three weeks on crutches in NOT TRUE! It has been 10 months and every day the pain is devastating in my sacrum, especially and exactly where my hardware is located, and down my left leg. It's hard to describe, buti t's like my bones are being crushed by the titanium pins in there. I went back for my follow-ups at 1 week, 12 weeks, 6 months ... each time Itold the surgeon how bad the pain was (and he saw the
    half-baseball-sized swelling under the scar and it's still there) and he
    just said "the pins are in place." He sent me to my wonderful pain management doctor (that is a sincere comment). She has been at a loss. I've had a CT scan, MRI, X-rays and everything looks "perfect." She gave me a caudal ESI left side and also a piriformis injection. Nothing. I can stand/walk for short periods. The most excruciatingpain is when I try to sit or especially when I lay down in bed. I keep praying this is all because I haven't healed
    yet. Supposedly, it can take a year or more for the muscles, joints,
    nerve pain to subside from surgery. I had to leave my wonderful career
    and am really scared I will be like this for life. I try to walk to keep
    strong, but it's very hard - I just wanted to have this surgery to
    become somewhat normal. Instead, I've traded really bad pain for
    horrible pain every minute of every day, If you haven't tried caudal epidurals or radio frequency ablations - try those first!!! I would rather go back to the
    shots. Wish I could go back in time.
    Take care,

rj
advertisement